What is the WORST beer you have ever had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonymouslyyours

Reaction score
I have seen many posts (on this site or others)about "my favorite beer" or whatever.... i was reminiscing about my youth, and remembered a hot summer afternoon when i was about 13 and cleaning out the garage... and i came across about 10 beers that had been stashed in a box, and forgotten about, (it was some open air garage aged MGD) and apparently left to the elements for a couple years.. or more? (yuck).... i remember being excited since i had actually had my hands on enough beer to get a good buzz on for me and my best buddy at the time..... i was 13 ok.....

I took special care to secure a cooler for the night, and empty the ice trays in my parents refrigerator in order to bring our newly discovered garage beer to a enjoyable temperature.

I arranged for my buddy to stay the night at my parents house since we had a good way to sneak out into the woods, to enjoy our haul. I remember arriving at the cooler, covered in leaves in the woods, and pulling out the first ice cold brew which had almost been a blessing by the brewing gods that we were able to obtain it in the first place. My first taste was really bad, i mean horrible. I assumed most beer tasted like this since i really had never drank a full beer.... We managed to get down ALL of them... somehow... In my ignorance, i assumed all beer tasted this bad, and it kind of ruined my whole idea of beer for many years. In hindsight, this is one of my many "fond" memories of being a kid.... just thought i would share that and see if anyone had any stories about the WORST BEER THEY HAVE EVER HAD.

I was in Russia one summer, and they had a six pack of Milwaukee's Best in the window of a kiosk. A friend and I thought it would be really funny to buy a six pack of American beer on some street corner. Obviously we were young and stupid because we didn't think twice about them selling us the exact same six pack (cans) sitting in the baking hot window. Why we drank it I still don't know. Ugly, ugly morning.

There is no doubt it was one of my own beers. One of many. E pluribus unum.

Probably the irish red I made with a raw turnip. Turnips are evil. I knew it after I read Tobacco Road, but I had to find out for myself.

I recommend everyone finds these things out for themselves. But take my word on turnips.

Any budweizer product, Miller product, or just about any macro-brew filth that the majority of people think is good beer.. When in actuality is wombat piss.

i had a rolling rock that had been sitting out on a porch for at least a year. that was pretty bad.

Any budweizer product, Miller product, or just about any macro-brew filth that the majority of people think is good beer.. When in actuality is wombat piss.

They have their place. An ice cold BMC is one of the most refreshing drinks when it's hot and you are really in need of a drink. Apart from that I prefer something with more taste and body.

Worst beer ....... probably mine. I remember when I first started about 15 years ago, I had a batch that was vinegar ....... but I really wanted to believe that it was fine, and drank a number of the beers ....... Thinking back; I don't know how I got thru the first glass. I seem to remember that I didn't drink too many and most of it went down the drain. It was some 'Brew in bag' kit where you added water to a bag, it fermented in the bag, and it had a tap on it to dispense the beer. Really simple ..... really bad.

The other bad experience I can remember is some Speckled Hen. 3 of the 6 bottles were light struck. Kind of Russian roulette as to whether you would get a decent beer. I have never bought a beer in a clear bottle since then.

RobbyBeer said:

What makes it the worst? Are they great? No. But worst? Not even close

Commercial beer it had to be a 40 ounce malt liquor I had back in high school. I don't even know the brand, just know it was gross. The next runner up was a homebrew I made when I first started homebrewing. It was an attempt at a hard lemonade made using champagne yeast and no hops. It was really bad...not quite gag-worthy but very close.

JoeyChopps said:
What makes it the worst? Are they great? No. But worst? Not even close

I can't stomach bud.. It really is gross.. I may of had some worse beers.. But Bud is definitely up there...
But all time absolute worst? Has to be this Mexican lager I had at a brewery in Florida, although I've blocked the name from memory.

KM ale, brewed for baltimores rock morning radio show KML, it was horrible don't know how they ever put their name on that crap, it was for a charity they were doing is only reason we tried it, believe me i was 15 i drank anything but that stuff...... :(

in college we pilfered a half full 30 pack of miller lite that had been sitting on the porch of an adjacent house's 2nd floor porch. It was there for as long as we could remember, to the point where the box was sunfaded from going through at least 1 WI summer and winter. That was pretty awful. The worst malt liquor IMO is CAMO XXL or something similar.

I just started drinking beer within the last year or two, even though I'm going on 29. I just never had a desire to drink beer, and stuck with cocktails instead. When I started drinking beer, I made it a point to avoid most large, commercial beers. But I got cornered a couple years ago while turkey hunting. My wife's aunt and uncle have hunting land, and while her uncle couldn't make it, a buddy of his could. So we met up to hunt.

Well... I brought a 6-pack or two of good microbrew. Something like an 8-9% abv stout or something. He brought a 30-pack of Red Dog... I went to grab a brew from the fridge in the shack, and he stopped me saying, "Nah, save the good stuff! Grab one of mine." I didn't want to insult the man, so I had a few Red Dogs. It was weird... kinda fizzy. I hope I don't get stuck drinking that stuff again.

Second worst I've had was Corona. It's just not good at all. But not as bad as Red Dog!

Back in the day a few buddies of mine and me bought a case of beer and it came in white cans that said beer on them. It tasted like ass and was like drinking a can of tacks but it had the desired effect. The hangover the nextg day was so bad I have blocked it out of my memery.

Coastal Fog "IPA" Terrible. I've never returned beer before...until then. Thank god Bevmo was willing to take it back.

Worst beer I have ever drank was on my honeymoon in Punta Canna...... A bottle of Presidente that was in our mini fridge in the room...... It tasted like flat stale moldy corn! Keep in mind I like Presidente on tap or in fresh bottles! The date on the bottle indicated that the beer was 3 years old, and by my assumption had been in that fridge for a very long time! Second worse and this is a close one to the first was a 400z of steel reserve that my brother got me for my 21st B-day.... seriously foul and that is an understatement!

Here in England we have thousands of microbreweries spewing out questionable products. Lots of great ones too, but the strange belief that local cask products are the only beer worth drinking which has been put forward by CAMRA (the Campaign for Real Ale) combined with tax breaks for breweries which produce under a certain amount, bad breweries have proliferated in recent years.

The worst beers I can recall are from Shardlow brewery. These beers were very fresh, looked after properly (from the point my pub received them) yet somehow the first one we put on the bar had a taste of raw sewage. We managed to sell about a gallon of that one before giving up on it and trying the next. This one was different...it tasted more like stale pond water. Mmmm...scummy.

It turned out every beer we had from them was appalling. The next day I called them and demanded a refund for what I could only see as an infected batch, unfortunately they had gone bankrupt. 2 weeks later they reopened and started shipping out beer again, debt free. Needless to say I've not ordered beer from them again.

Tried a load of 'rejects' from a homebrew competition.

Infections, dms, diacetyl, sulphur, over carbonated... you name it, they had it.

The first batch if beer I made was the worst. I knew nothing about brewing or sanitation. Just rinsed the equipment and primed by putting individual tsp's of priming sugar in each bottle. It was terrible. I am surprised I continued to keep brewing after that disaster.

Most recently a Trippel from Upland Brewing in Indiana, I didn't like it at all and couldn't take more than a couple of sips. Not to bash Upland, but I have not found a beer yet from them that I do like very well and I'm not sure why. I keep trying them on occasion, maybe one day I will find one I like.

Besides some of my own that had various problems, the worst commercial beer I've ever had was Big Flats, which is sold at the walgreens near my apartment. At $2.99 a sixer, you can get the best beer that's brewed inside of a skunk's butthole. I took one sip, threw up, and dumped the rest. Never again will I buy something that cheap.

My first homebrew, a mr beer pale ale laden with chlorophenols. Wasn't aware about chlorine and chloramine being such a detriment at the time

The worst beer I've ever had the displeasure of laying lip to was Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer (from Germany). Ever couple of weeks I go to Total Wine because they have an awesome selection of microbrews. I always grab a bunch I have never heard of just to expand my knowledge/pallet. I find this smokebeer stuff from Germany. I like smoking ribs, briskets and the like plus I'm a firefighter...smokebeer sounds like it would be right up my alley. So I'm thinking it's going to be dark and have a hint of smoke from a small addition of some smoked malt. Nooooooo! If you've ever used that little bottle of stuff from the store called 'liquid smoke', imagine drinking it. It was like emptying an ashtray into stale beer from a college keg party and then drinking it. I couldn't take a second sip. Of course, misery loves company so I go grab the wife and say (with enthusiasm) "you gotta try this stuff". She takes a big swig and about regurgitates. Good times.

Besides some of my own that had various problems, the worst commercial beer I've ever had was Big Flats, which is sold at the walgreens near my apartment. At $2.99 a sixer, you can get the best beer that's brewed inside of a skunk's butthole. I took one sip, threw up, and dumped the rest. Never again will I buy something that cheap.

Wow ,was it the premium lager? Or light? I was impressed and havent had lagers in a while but i considered it a surprisingly good lager.Just my opinion i guess but from what i remember of bud miller coors i like it better than those. My girlfriend asked what it was cause she liked it and i was like i know its good isnt it? Really you threw up ?- you must have been loaded? I did have a few of those and some other beers and had a hangover which i havent had in a long time.Normally six craft beers will not make me feel so terrible the next day.Feeling crusty nausious and moving about like a weak old man.

Smooshed_Snoot_Brew said:
Magic Hat No 9. F'ing horrible. Would rather drink a case of BMC than drink that swill.

Really? Perhaps you had a skunked bottle or something... Because elephant piss is better than BMC... And #9 is a bit better than elephant piss...
And I know, I used to work at the circus.. It's where Bud gets most of their ingredients...

Some Italian beer from trader Joe's. Definitely oxidized and tasted horrible. I took I which an knew it was bad but I tasted it anyway. After 1 sip I dumped it. At least I got a grolsch style bottle out of it.

RobbyBeer said:
Really? Perhaps you had a skunked bottle or something... Because elephant piss is better than BMC... And #9 is a bit better than elephant piss...
And I know, I used to work at the circus.. It's where Bud gets most of their ingredients...

No not skunked. I kept trying it now and again the last few years. It's just horrible and watery no mouthfeel at all to this brew I had it bottled an kegged a lot of times it's the only micro at places. I have totally given up on it. Couldn't pay me to drink it.

The only Magic Hat beer I've had I could stomach was the vanilla porter. Quite good, actually.

Worst beer: magnum malt liquor after the bottle sat half empty in my car during summer.

Bud ice. I was 22, so in the prime of my no hangover days. The only thing a drank all night. The next day I had the worst hangover, still to this day. It didn't taste good either.

Magic Hat No 9. F'ing horrible. Would rather drink a case of BMC than drink that swill.

+10000000000000

somebody brought over a 12 pack and left it in our fridge
had to choke it down so i could use the bottles for homebrew
i would've preferred the warm natty ice from a backpack i drank around numerous bonfires in high school

I've put it on another similar thread about worst commercial beer. Sixpoint Diesel. Tasted like drinking a cup of Pine Sol. Couldn't finish it and it took three other pints and a couple hours to get the flavor out of my mouth.

Back