220V 40A SSR and Heat Sink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezzieyguywuf

Reaction score
I'm looking at using one of these for a pwm circuit that I'll be using in an electric build. I have a few questions:

1) Where is a good brick & mortar to source these from? If not, what's a good online source, i.e. one I could also buy the rest of my electrical components from so that I could save on shipping? Either that or somewhere I could also get a project box.

2) Does anyone know what the dimensions of this thing mounted on a heat sink are? I'd like to know so that I can get the right size project box.

Thanks!

your best bet is going to be ebay.
search 40a ssr heatsink and you'll find lots for cheap.

you'll spend 4-10 times as much elsewhere

<$15 for one from Ebay (with heatsink), but wait 3 weeks for shipping from China. $40 for a SSR/heatsink from Auber, but faster shipping. No idea of a brick and mortar store.

This says the SSR is 31 mm high, or around 1.25". It's approx 2" x 1.5" wide x long.

This says the heatsink is 80mm wide at the base, 60mm wide at the top, 60mm long at the top, and 50mm tall. (25.4 mm in 1 inch, or google "60 mm in inches" to get conversions). 50mm tall means 2 inches.

So the total package is 3.25" tall, ~ 3.15" wide at the base, ~2.4" wide at the top, ~2.4" long.

They are all the same size, within millimeters.

Anything important in SSRs build-quality wise? I've read some threads on here warning against cheap switches and relays, but what about SSRs? $15 eBay vs $40 auberins SSR/HS combo...

i got mine from lightobject.com

they have ebay prices, but decent shipping speed (the stuff is from china, but they warehouse it in california, so its 7 day shipping across country instead of 20+ days across the world). their temperature probes are only mediocre quality, but extremely cheap. the rest of their stuff is decent or good quality i have found. i use their PIDs for my brewery, and i have a pump and a few current transformers from them as well.

whichever particular SSR you get will have a spec sheet which will give you the dimensions, from there you can find a heatsink that will work. there isnt a "standardized" size for SSRs, but most are very similar in size.

Check out this ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Electrical-Replacement-Parts. Everything is from the good ol' USA. I ordered approx 1000$ worth of goods for my RIMs project. Can't say enough good stuff about the store. The other store I'll share is www.automationdirect.com. I usually check them to see what they have and then try to find it somewhere else for cheaper. They seem to have quite a few parts you can't find anywhere else. Shipping is unbelievably fast too. PS: I'd recommend dual SSRs for 240V, but I'm biased since I'm a EE. Check the threads and make your own decision. Happy building!!!

Check out this ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Electrical-Replacement-Parts. Everything is from the good ol' USA. I ordered approx 1000$ worth of goods for my RIMs project. Can't say enough good stuff about the store. The other store I'll share is www.automationdirect.com. I usually check them to see what they have and then try to find it somewhere else for cheaper. They seem to have quite a few parts you can't find anywhere else. Shipping is unbelievably fast too. PS: I'd recommend dual SSRs for 240V, but I'm biased since I'm a EE. Check the threads and make your own decision. Happy building!!!

Everything may be shipped from the good ol' USA, but worth noting it's not made here.

Specifically, the only SSRs he has are Foteks for $30, which are the same $5 SSRs you buy from china.

Back