Firesheep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It isn't as bad as you think. First off, it only supports a limited number of sites. However the sites are growing all the time. It mostly targets social networking sites. Although if someone was knowledgeable enough, any site could be coded to work.

The biggest problem is the extension is a bit flaky and doesn't even work half the time.

The negative side is if someone does get it to work, they can have full access to your login. Note that they cannot actually see your password but will still have access to your account. Think of it as you going to their computer and logging into your Facebook (or other supported site) and then walking away without logging out. That is the access they would have.

Online bill pay could be accessed and payment sent to someone, but that would take some serious organization for the infiltrator to benefit.

Anyone who knows computers can do this without the extension. It's nothing new, it's just that people don't know about it until someone makes a tool so that everyone can do it.

Online bill pay could be accessed and payment sent to someone, but that would take some serious organization for the infiltrator to benefit.

No, this can't be done with it. Your online payment processor would use SSL which encrypts between you and the bank, which FireSheep can't crack.

FireSheep only works on an open WiFi (doesn't work if you had to enter a WiFi password to attach to the access point) and also only works if the site does not use encryption for page transactions (posting). Also, many e-mail systems are transferring message to/from you unencrypted as well.

I personally have a home server and use a VPN connection whenever I'm on someone elses WiFi, thus making my browsing secure. I've recently added several family members and relatives to my VPN connection so they too can have secure browsing.

Back