Gingerbread ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ara35

Reaction score
To make it gingerbread, I have read that Mosher says the following: use a lightly hopped brown ale as a base and add 4gs of cinnamon, 2gs of ground ginger, 1g of allspice, and 1 gram of clove. Could I substitute the 1 gram clove with 1 gram of nutmeg? Does this seem like an adequate amount of spices for a 5 gallon batch? Thanks!

I found this recipe online for a brown ale (credit to JEMeeks) that is as follows:

10.5 lbs Pale 2-row malt
1.5 lbs Crystal 80
0.5 lbs Cara-pils
6 oz Chocolate malt

1.25 oz Cascade (AA 6%) - 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade (AA 4.1%) - 15 min
0.5 oz Centennial (AA 9.3%) - 15 min
0.5 oz Cascade (AA 4.1%) - 5 min

Nottingham yeast

I have a similar question..
Going to brew a christmassy thing based of a dark ale, and wondering about the spices..

How much of cloves, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground allspice and fresh orange peel would be good?

If you're just winging it then sure, that's acceptable. If you're trying to get an actual substitute for the cloves, then no, nutmeg will definitely not substitute for cloves. apples and oranges... that sounds like a lot of spices though. cloves for one are very pungent so a few pieces might be fine.

then i'll just scratch the cloves and go with nutmeg... why not, right? time to be a mad scientist once again...

Did you wind up doing this? SWMBO has been bugging me for a gingerbread ale, I'm thinking porter... the spice profile here seems nice though I'd go extra light on cloves since I'm not a big fan.

Back