chest freezer gasket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donner

Reaction score
I've got condensation inside my used freezer. I can tell several spots where the gasket has pulled away from the top lid and is leaking cold air. I assume this is causing the problem.

I just did a quick search for gasket replacement parts and the parts will cost me twice as much as the whole freezer did, so i'd kinda like to avoid that.

Is there a generic (read cheap) gasket that would be available and if not, does anyone have any suggestions for what to do to seal the leaks without replacing the gasket? I was thinking superglue to reattach the gasket to the lid...

Condensation is a pretty common problem with "keezers" especially if you use picnic taps, because every time you open the lid, you let humid air inside.

You can try a product called DampRid which will absorb some of the moisture. You can get it at Lowes or HomeDepot.

I know that doesn't answer the gasket question... I was just offering some input on something else you may have to deal with or, could solve the problem.

Good luck.

thanks. This isn't a keezer, but a fermentation chamber, so i don't think it will get opened too often. i've got some damp rid in there, but it's still having problems. It isn't like it's been raining in there, mind you, but i can literally feel the cold air coming out in a few places and know that if it's coming out then it's like contributing to the problem.

I need to drill some holes in the lid to get my temp probe inside (no drain hole, so don't suggest that one). When i thought it was just from the probe being between the gasket then i thought placing the probe through the lid would fix the issue, but now that i've found two other spots, i need to figure out how to seal it up.

you could try going to the hardware store and get some of the "frost king" insulation tape. dont know if this would be the best option but it is definitely a cheaper one

It depends on whether your freezer is a "self defrosting" aka "Frost free" , if its not they will all have condensation in them to some degree or another. The frost free/self defrosting models are more expensive. Most of us use the others and thus are more likely to experience condensation.

yeah, i don't think this is frost free. I knew going in there would be a condensation issue to some degree. Some further reading pointed towards seal leaks as being a big cause. When i started looking at it, it became clear that there are at least two leaks. I am sure i'll still have some condensation, but getting the leaks plugged should help, i'd imagine.

If you can feel the cold air coming out, then there has to be warm, moist air going in. Like Bobby M said, put some sealant on there as best you can.

A well sealed freezer will usually only accumulate minor amounts of condensation. Excessive condensation is a sure sign of an air leak. It can be challenging to build a collar straight and true with air tight corner joints. It looks much easier than it actually is. Even a tiny pinhole leak will cause condensation problems. Been there as they say.

i'd imagine. I don't plan on building a collar. I just don't want to drop $100 on the new gasket...

i'd imagine. I don't plan on building a collar. I just don't want to drop $100 on the new gasket...

You might check out some automotive type weatherstripping. Home type weatherstripping might also work as someone else suggested.

You could try removing the existing gasket and examining it closely for damage. So long as it's integrity is not visibly compromised, I would try soaking it in hot water and Oxiclean, rinse if and carefully re-install it. Next, check that the freezer is sitting level and if not, level it up however you can. Sometimes, large chest freezers can sort get twisted or tweaked if they are loaded up while not well supported on a level floor. IOW, check that the top edge of the freezer is straight, true and level. Even small variations may be more than the gasket can compensate for. A last resort might be to put something heavy on the lid to help push down and squash the gasket. A couple of buckets of water should do it. It would be a major PIA to have to deal with the water buckets and it would look bad, but might get you by until you can figure out how to fix the problem without spending a bundle. Maybe bungee the lid down somehow, or get a fat woman to sit on it for an hour or so.

I've seen a few misconceptions about what a frost free freezer is. "self defrosting" is a better name for them. What these do is go through a warming cycle to melt off the frozen condensation so that it doesn't build up. It has nothing to do with preventing moisture from condensing.

there appears to be two main locations where the air is leaking. The gasket on the back corners, near the hinges, has come loose from the top lid. I think that sealing those areas will allow for a good seal. I do also need to figure out the best way to get the probe inside freezer since i can't run it through a drain. I'm thinking about drilling either straight down through the top of the lid, or maybe along the bad edge of the lid and then down through the plastic backing on the bottom side of the lid. I'll give it some thought unless someone else has a good idea.

there appears to be two main locations where the air is leaking. The gasket on the back corners, near the hinges, has come loose from the top lid. I think that sealing those areas will allow for a good seal. I do also need to figure out the best way to get the probe inside freezer since i can't run it through a drain. I'm thinking about drilling either straight down through the top of the lid, or maybe along the bad edge of the lid and then down through the plastic backing on the bottom side of the lid. I'll give it some thought unless someone else has a good idea.

I would drill through the back edge of the lid downward at an angle and through the plastic liner as you said. This will leave the top surface intact and it will be mostly un-noticeable. See if you can figure out how the gasket it attached to the lid. If it's attached with some kind of clips, you might be able to just replace a couple of those or improvise something to take their place. Maybe detaching and rotating the gasket 180 degrees might help if it gets squashed more in the back than in the front when opening and closing the lid. Don't know if that would help, but may be worth a try.

It's been about 18 months since this problem was on here. Is there any word as to the outcome of your gasket problem?

I'm having similar issues and am thinking of just using weatherstripping around both sides of the gasket to protect the inside air from leaking.

Just curious if you found a solution.

Niot sure if the OP found his answer, but you can google rubber weatherstrip seal, the stuff I use is from Ace Hardware and is used to seal around the bed of a truck when you affix a camper shell. It is self adhesive, comes in a variety of thicknesses and widths, and should also come in different colors.

here is an amazon return on this type of material, but this isnt the brand I used, it is only for reference (I think this is used for windows and doors):

Amazon.com: Duck Brand 1297116 Heavy-Duty Self Adhesive Rubber Weatherstrip Seal 3/8-Inchw X 1/4-Inch Thick X 17' Long, 1 Medium Gap: Home Improvement

Last edited by a moderator:
Back