Lots of firsts on 4th of July brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
My wife is a nurse and has to work all day today. So I decided to make today a special brew day in honor of, well, to be honest...just because I wanted to. So todays list of firsts for me....

first double brew day - brewing my ginger saison, and centennial pale ale.
finally put my valve on my brew kettle - no more syphoning to the BB
rebuilt my mashtun with the crush proof braid using the SS spring method
picked up a submersible pump to make chilling the wort go quicker hopefully.

I'm half way through brew #1, and am almost ready to dough in the second batch.

My wife is a nurse and has to work all day today. So I decided to make today a special brew day in honor of, well, to be honest...just because I wanted to. So todays list of firsts for me....

first double brew day - brewing my ginger saison, and centennial pale ale.
finally put my valve on my brew kettle - no more syphoning to the BB
rebuilt my mashtun with the crush proof braid using the SS spring method
picked up a submersible pump to make chilling the wort go quicker hopefully.

I'm half way through brew #1, and am almost ready to dough in the second batch.

Sounds like a good day to me! Let's see some photos of the fun!

Ha, I had a brew with a few firsts as well! :mug:

I tested out foam control drops in my boil for the first time. It was actually a partial boil, but I wanted to try them out in anticipation of my new propane burner and moving up to full boils in the next few weeks.

Also, tried liquid yeast for the first time. I've been using dry yeast until this point, but tried a Wyeast Activator pack for my best bitter. No starter for this one, it was 1.045 OG so I suspect it will be okay. I'm going to probably pick up a few things to begin making starters for future batches.

Foam control is wonderful. When I was doing full boils is my old brew pot (30 qt), I used it for every batch and loved it. I also use a drop or two when I make starters to control the foam.

For ease of use and cost, I use dry yeast when applicable. S-05 is my go to yeast. But whenever I am using liquid I recommend you make a starter.

For ease of use and cost, I use dry yeast when applicable. S-05 is my go to yeast. But whenever I am using liquid I recommend you make a starter.

It really seems that dry yeast can cover a lot of bases, but I'm sure I'll probably experiment with both liquid and dry in the future. The bitter seems to be fermenting. No activity in the blow-off, but, of course, that's not a good fermentation gauge. Looking at the side of the bucket I can make out where the top of the liquid is and a lighter krausen layer on top of it. So, it's chugging along!

Back