STERLING hop substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erw128

Reaction score
I'm tryin to throw a recipe together in ProMash and sterling is not a hop option. I know it really doesn't matter since you can chance the alpha, but just wondering if anyone knew the closest relatives of Sterling........Hallertau?

According to Yakima Chief:

Sterling is an aroma cultivar, a diploid seedling made in 1990 with a 21522 female plant and a 21361 male plant. Its parentage is 1/2 Saazer, 1/4 Cascade, 1/8 64035M (unknown German aroma X open pollination),1/16 Brewers Gold, 1/32 Early Green, and 1/32 unknown.

Used for its aromatic properties, similar to Saaz.

I don't think you'd be far off subbing Saaz. From what I hear, Sterling was widely substituted for Saaz during the recent shortage.

You can add varieties to the ProMash database. In the main screen, click the brown 'Hops' button. Select any variety by clicking on the variety once to highlight the entry. Click the 'Clone' button. Tell ProMash yes, you really want to clone the entry. ;) The cloned entry will be highlighted on the list. Click 'Edit'. Rename the entry - in this case, 'Sterling'. Update the average AA percentages. You can change the other stuff, too, but for homebrew purposes changing the values for Humulene, Carophyllene and stuff isn't really useful. You just want an entry for the variety with AA% so you can use it in your recipes. When finished edited, click 'OK'. Then click 'Save', then 'OK'. Congratuations! Your hops database is now updated.

Isn't ProMash fun? :D

Bob

You might go with the US version of Saaz over the Czech. Hops Direct has them in pellets.

US SAAZ Pellet Hops
a/a 6.3 - 7.0%

Very mild, spicy, and earthy.
Typical brewing use - Pilsner, Lager, US Wheat, Belgian-Style Ales, Bitter

I used Saaz recently as a sub, worked very well except for the cost. Due to the low Alpha I had to use a lot more Saaz.

Latest posts

Back