Rate your ISP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
466059362.png

Beats the hell out of dial-up, which is my only other option.

That's weird, my upload is usually twice that. Nothing else seems to be running. Probably just a slow day.

Wow cheeto, a blazing 71Kbps. Displaced Masshole, I was going to say I hate you, but you're at work so I guess that pipe is alright :D

Man some of you people got some serious bandwidth. This is from my home on my wireless connection. I would hate to see the speed on my 3G wireless card for work. :)

Mine is part of a phone, cable and internet combo. Not sure what the internet price is.

Not bad for the boondocks
466602788.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I tried it at work and was over 50. Wish big brother wasn't looking over my shoulder or I could have some fun with that!

I am running Uverse at the house... As I work for the company, I also checked out the test readings prior to the install and I was running close to 55-ish Mb to the side of the house... Less than 1000' from the VRAD... Granted they limit the DSL speed to the package I got and the profile speed is capped at 25Mb...

I hate Commie Cast, but the speed's not terrible (when I'm not getting randomly disconnected).
How are the rest of you Comcast folks getting those rates? Paying through the nose for the business class ISP?

the kicker is i live 20 miles from the nearest city
right on the lake and have 20 acres of land for hops grapes paintball
and hunting
[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Cookson+OK&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=0,230.537109&ie=UTF8&ll=35.87542,-94.497185&spn=0.207809,0.505714&t=h&z=12"]google map[/ame]

Oddly enough, I'm using the same server I use at home. Funny how it says the Portland server is 50 miles away, since I'm actually IN Portland both at home and at work.

Speed isn't really the issue, it's value up to a certainl pain threshold for me. At first I though maybe a good measure is $/Mbps.

Verizon DSL runs me $30/month and I get 2.6M down and 700k up very consistently with no outages. Hey, 30/3 = $10 per Mbps of data, not bad.

Cablevision keeps trying to sell me on their $55 ISP deal so I can get 15Mbps down and about 10M up. That's 55/25 or only just over $2 per Mbps. Better deal right? Not if you only need 3 Mbps.

Back