Shiitakes-save the stems? (need recipes)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
Here's my newest flush that just came in. Hmm problem is I don't know how to cook these or what with. I often see them sold with the stem cut off, is there any reason to do this? I think you would be losing out on nutritional content by doing that, but maybe I'm wrong?

I take the stems out, and use them in stir-fry, just sliced and cooked like any other mushroom. If this thread turns out like Laurel's did a few days ago, you'll get much better suggestions than this.

I usually cook with the stems. My wife cuts them off when she cooks - she says they're too tough.

You can cook them just like you would any other mushrooms but most people will only use them in an Asian stir-fry. I've used them in a mushroom risotto and just last week, my wife cooked it in some Alfredo sauce. It just takes a little longer to cook them than you would with regular mushrooms.

Chop them coursely...
Put into a bowl with some (water about an inch)...
Microwave untill they reduce in volume by about half...
Put into frying pan (water and all)...
Cover in fresh ground pepper...
Pour in a pint of milk...
Reduce until only a coating remains...
Some salt if you like...

Done. Sounds like a bit process but it only takes a few minutes and they will be the best mushrooms you've ever tasted...

EDIT: now you've made me hungry...

Back