Thinking about getting a party pig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would pass because they are kind of expensive to get set up. HOWEVER the TAD (Tap -a-draft) system is super cheap if you buy a bulb of Miller or Coors lite. These system work pretty well the downside is all the CO2 carts they use...1 to carb and 1 to serve. There are a bunch of threads here where folks have "hacked them".

I picked a Pig up at a garage sale for 20 bucks, havent used it yet but seems like a good idea. I was looking into the Tap a draft till I found this at the garage sale

The Tap-a-Draft system has been out a while, uses standard CO2 "sparklets" available anywhere, and has even been adopted by the bigs (thread linked says they've licensed the system from Sturman BG). The trouble with these things where I am concerned is refrigeration space. Don't have it, not gonna get it, so this is right out.

I have one but I've only used it a couple times. Not because I wasn't happy with it but because I don't have the fridge space (too many beer bottles already in the fridge). It's tricky to get the carbonation right and the pouches are a little pricey but I'd use it more if I had the space. It is more cask-like because the carbonation is done by priming like bottles instead of forced CO2 carbonation. The pouch just helps offset incoming oxygen and maintain pressure. You could take it even more cask-like and leave out the pouch and just pour by gravity. (I think the TAD systems could be naturally carbonated and only dispersed with a CO2 canister.) You may want to look at the tap-a-draft systems or the converted miller/coors fridge "kegs" and see if those would better suit your needs because of the price.

Lots of people get those party pigs or their friends/spouses give them as gifts and the brewers use them once or twice and decide they don't want to use it anymore so you can often find them in very good condition on craigslist.

Back