Can I brew with this ingredient list?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is what I have...Can I make a batch or two? Will I need additional items?
40282642.jpg

It looks like you have the basic ingrediants. The two plastic canisters there, is that lme? Just make sure to watch out for a boil over! Also, do some research on recipes to see how it might turn out. There are also recipe builders out there that can tell you what that beer will be like in taste, color, abv, ibu's, etc. Good luck!

If I was a betting person I would wage that those LME's (the buckets) are like 3 lbs each, or 3.3 even.

I am not able to figure out what's inside those ziplocs, it could be coffe, dark malted grains or even Irish Moss... Kinda looks like Dark Crushed Grain, about 2 pounds?

So 6+ LME
2+ Spesiality Grains
4 OZ Hops
2 Packs of Yeast

hmm Yeast Energizer and maybe Irish Moss ?

Are you sure the the buckets contain LME and not Hot and Sour Soup?

Are you sure the the buckets contain LME and not Hot and Sour Soup?

Better question is did a shop sell you random stuff or was this a hand off from someone else who stopped brewing? Either way find out what you have in the unmarked bags/containers. Will make a world of difference using 6lbs of dark malt extract vs golden malt extract.

Go onto

http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

This is a good sight and you can plug in recipes to see what you can make.

looks like you have a good amount of material now you just need to get the recipe specific.

here is what i would do with your material.

Steep crushed grains (will need a muslin bag) for 30 minutes (put in cold water and heat to 160* remove grain then add one bucket LME
Boil
Add 1oz perle - 60 min
1oz. perle - 30 min
second bucket of lme - 15 min (late addition)
1oz. williamette - 15 min
1oz. crystal - Dry hop 7 days.

prime with 5oz sugar at bottling.

let us know how it turns out and what your actual recipe was.

The question I have is where did you get all of this from and more important is how old is the stuff?

The one in the bottom right corner say some address out of GA and Crystal 4.1, but that is all I can make out.

looks like a dark ale with a good amount of hops and two old packs of notty. try using some software, or one of the online recipe calcs to see what kinda numbers those ingredients give you.

Ok I have been away from the Internet for a couple days...thanks for the reply

I got this assortment from a friend who left for the war and never returned. I am not sure on the age of ingredients

I think the baggies are briess roasted non malted barley 6 row. I think the large plastic tubs have a dark malt extract...they seem like 5 pounds each. His wife has also given me a pound of briess caramel 10L and 3.3 pounds of briess golden light malt extract

The gold bag in the corner says crystal 4.1 (is this hops?)

The gold bag in the corner says crystal 4.1 (is this hops?)

it appears that it is, crystal hops @ 4.1% AA. i agree that the extract looks like dark, or maybe amber. although even pale and light LME can darken with age. i'd say assume amber or something similar.
you can always look up or create a recipe based on those ingredients. or at least using the bulk of it. brew it to honor your buddy, keep notes so you can attempt to recreate it if you like, it's a great way to remember someone by.
if you want some help in creating a recipe instead of just finding one, send me a private message, i really enjoy putting beer recipes together and would be glad to help. :mug:

A ton of dark LME and probably a pound plus of roasted barley - sounds like a stout in the making. The perle and willamette could go in that.

ok i have been away from the internet for a couple days...thanks for the reply

i got this assortment from a friend who left for the war and never returned. I am not sure on the age of ingredients

i think the baggies are briess roasted non malted barley 6 row. I think the large plastic tubs have a dark malt extract...they seem like 5 pounds each. His wife has also given me a pound of briess caramel 10l and 3.3 pounds of briess golden light malt extract

the gold bag in the corner says crystal 4.1 (is this hops?)

god bless him and his family

Back