Getting a Good Cold Break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich711

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Two questions.

I do not have a wort chiller yet, but plan on getting one. I have found a couple of stainless steel chillers that are just a little more expensive then the copper ones. I am thinking stainless would be better, but thought I would ask you folks if you think stainless or copper is best and why?

I now do my cold break in an ice bath. After I put the brew pot in the ice bath and then I stir the wort so that is swirls around the inside wall of the brew pot to drop the temperature more quickly.

I recently had a thought that the stirring may interfere with the cold break, so I thought I would ask to stir or not to stir?

Any other cold break advice will be appreciated.

Rich

PS - Thanks everyone - my first beer batches came out pretty good.

I say copper, it transfers heat more efficiently. And stir, your trub will gather in the center.

I say copper, it transfers heat more efficiently. And stir, your trub will gather in the center.

I agree! But stainless will work if it's cheaper for you. It's just that copper transfers the heat better than anything else I can think of.

The cold break will happen whether you stir or not, and gently stirring is the most effective way to cool faster.

Have you tried Whirlfloc in the kettle? It's the same substance as Irish moss, but in tablet form. And it works far better than Irish moss did for me. Once I started using Whirlfloc, I got crazy cold break and ultra clear wort (and then, clear finished beer).

Also, pre-fermentation exposure to copper is great for beer, as it actually removes sulfur compounds from the final product.

Unless, of course, the style that you're brewing happens to be one of the lagers where sulfur compounds (such as DMS) are considered characteristic.

I used my immersion chiller for the first time last night. I had a beautiful cold break. With snow in the the water bucket, I reached 70 degrees in about 25 minutes :)

Where are you guys using the Whirlfloc buying it? Online or at your LHBS?

Sorry, not meaning to thread jack. Just a quick question.

Whirfloc is available at all 3 of our local brew shops in the Twin Cities, MN. I have to assume it's pretty easy to find. If you can't find it locally, I know you can order it online from places like Midwest Supplies or Northern Brewer.

Back