1L starter water and dme question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcmccoy

Reaction score
So I have seen people talk about 1L of water and 3oz of dme for a 2L starter. How much water and dme do I use if I only have a 1L flask? The instructions says 16 oz of water and 1 cup of dme. I will have to weigh it out but I think 1 cup of dme is more than 3 oz. Can I assume I should use 500ml of water and 1.5 oz of dme?

Whatever volume of water you use, you want your starter to have a gravity of about 1.030-1.045 so you can measure how much DME to use based off of that.

The rule of thumb I use is a 10 : 1 ratio of weights..

For example:
For 1,000 Grams of water, then use 100 grams of DME.
or
For 500 Grams of water use 50 grams of DME..

Lucky for us 1000 grams of water = 1 liter so in your case 500 grams of water = 500 ml

Hope that helps

For example:
or

Lucky for us 1000 grams of water = 1 liter so in your case 500 grams of water = 500 ml

Hope that helps

Gotta love the Metric System!

For example:
or

Hope that helps

A+ this is how I love to do it because it so easy 1800L = 180grams 5000L = 500 grams.

The 10:1 rule is what I have used in the past, however i have a question regarding this.

I start with 1000ml of water and 100 grams of DME - After I boil this for 15 minutes I will no longer have 1000ml of water therefore my starter will be smaller than 1L.

Are we basing our starter size calculation on the preboil water/DME measurement or should we be calculating the size off the post boil amount?

So I guess another way to put it would be to ask if anyone adds additional water to account for boil off, so for a 1L starter you would start with 1200ml to account for the boil off?

The Volume/Weight of water is POST boil.

We are shooting for a 1.040 Wort.

So if you do the numbers (Considering DME is 45 ppg) it works out to be like 106 grams to 1 liter to be exact. So your Pre boil volume will be greater and your gravity will be lower, so when you are finished with your boil you should end up with 1 liter Final volume and a gravity of 1.040

I doubt it really matters. As long as you are clean your yeast will be happy with anything close.

The 10:1 rule is what I have used in the past, however i have a question regarding this.

I start with 1000ml of water and 100 grams of DME - After I boil this for 15 minutes I will no longer have 1000ml of water therefore my starter will be smaller than 1L.

Are we basing our starter size calculation on the preboil water/DME measurement or should we be calculating the size off the post boil amount?

So I guess another way to put it would be to ask if anyone adds additional water to account for boil off, so for a 1L starter you would start with 1200ml to account for the boil off?

There's really no reason to boil for more than about 1 minute.

According to the Wilderness Medical Society, water temperatures above 160° F (70° C) kill all pathogens within 30 minutes and above 185° F (85° C) within a few minutes. So in the time it takes for the water to reach the boiling point (212° F or 100° C) from 160° F (70° C), all pathogens will be killed, even at high altitude. To be extra safe, let the water boil rapidly for one minute, especially at higher altitudes since water boils at a lower temperature.

Source

Back