how many gallons in a 3 gallon glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
seems like a dumb question, I know, but I end up with plenty more room when I transfer 3 gallons from from ale pail. I know I could measure it myself, but that would take time and require me to actually get off my butt. I figure someone here must have already done the the work (or the math if you have the dimensions)

Are you sure you didn't lose anything in your primary? I usually lose about a half gallon to trub.

I don't have a 3 gallon, but but my 5 gallon has about an extra 1/4 gallon of room in it when I fill it with 5 gallons.

The volume markings on ale pails are notoriously inaccurate.

well, now...that could explain things. I should know better to have trusted them, but I have been treating them as pretty much spot on. Looks like I'm going to have to calibrate my equipment.

well, now...that could explain things. I should know better to have trusted them, but I have been treating them as pretty much spot on. Looks like I'm going to have to calibrate my equipment.

I've been using a 1 gallon container for a long time, but just last week my wife (who works in a food service setting) ordered me a nice 1 gallon measuring cup/pitcher.

I checked my old container, and its barely 1 gallon if you fill it to a buldging brim.

A lotta guys will get a small aluminum rod at the hardware store, then fill kettles or buckets with a more accurate device (like my new pitcher) and then notch the rod at each gallon/half gallon so that you end up with a ruler that measures volume. Of course its only good for the vessel you make it for, so most just do it for their boil kettle.

Back