American Ale Extract Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
How does the follow recipe look? It is similar to BM's Centennial Blond (big props to him for that recipe - It's become a staple in my house) but adapted to use ingrediants that I have on hand right now.

1/2 Pound Carapils
1/2 Pound Biscuit Malt
6 lbs Extra Light DME
1/2oz Centennial @ 45 mins
1/2oz Centennial @ 20 mins
1/2oz Cascade @ 10 Minutes
1/2oz Cascade @ knockout
Safale S-04

What do you think?

:mug:

EDIT: Is this really an American Ale? What style does this fall into?

With English yeast and that grist bill it looks to be a lightly hopped, odd Premium Bitter with 28 IBU and a 1.053 SG.

I'd make the following changes to get more use out of your hops and I'd drop the biscuit since it needs to be mashed. Get a good hard boil going to give some more color. This is with a late addition of XLDME and a partial boil.

Code:
Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 5.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
6 lbs         Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)         Dry Extract  85.71 %       
8.0 oz        Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)                   Grain        7.14 %        
8.0 oz        Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)              Grain        7.14 %        
0.50 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (60 min)            Hops         17.2 IBU      
0.50 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (20 min)            Hops         5.8 IBU       
0.50 oz       Cascade [5.50 %]  (20 min)                Hops         3.2 IBU       
0.50 oz       Cascade [5.50 %]  (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops          -

If you insist on pinning it into a particular style, it's definitely more of an American Pale Ale than Blonde Ale. But you know the best thing? It's your beer. You can call it whatever you like! :mug:

Bob

You don't need to mash Biscuit to get flavor and color contributions. You want the sugar converted, yeah, you'll need to mash. But if all you want is the flavors, aromas and colors, steeping will suit just fine.

Bob

You don't need to mash Biscuit to get flavor and color contributions. You want the sugar converted, yeah, you'll need to mash. But if all you want is the flavors, aromas and colors, steeping will suit just fine.

Bob

Wouldn't that just be a starch tea then? I never steeped non-converted malts when I was extract brewing.

Steeping the Biscuit would give another SRM of color but would you get that toasty, bready flavor from steeping it?

Wouldn't that just be a starch tea then? I never steeped non-converted malts when I was extract brewing.

Steeping the Biscuit would give another SRM of color but would you get that toasty, bready flavor from steeping it?

Thanks for the input. I've used biscuit malt in my extract Fat Tire clone before and you do get the bready flavor. I'm sure its not as pronounced as if it was mashed but its definitely there.

If you use US-05 instead of the S-04, then yep, I'd call it an American Ale lock stock and barrel.

With the S-04 in there.... could still be interesting. Leave a little malty fruity backbone, for the citrusy C hops to play with?

Update - I brewed this recipe as is and kegged it yesterday. I fermented it around 70 degrees and the S-04 was not what I was looking for. I wanted to use Notty but couldn't get any at the time. The S-04 ended up leaving too many fruity esters. The beer is still good, just not what I was going for. I wouldn't use S-04 in this recipe again.

Back