Decoction Mash Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just watched the videos and learned tons. Not just about decoction but mashing in general. Well done Kai!

I've got a basic pale ale recipe that's my house brew. I'll look at beer smith and post the extract, partial mash/steeping grains, and all grain versions later this weekend.

I am on decoction mashing after a while, and off course I watched videos again, very helpful :)
There is also podcast on BB (Kai's Take on Decoction):

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2010
(May 27, 2010)

Just listened to the podcast and caught something I haven't heard before that many German brewers don't boil the decoction and just bring it up to boiling temp and hold it for a certain amount of time. Interesting, more experiments to try.

I finally got it done and released to YouTube:

Part 1:
[youtube]_V1zt0mW084[/youtube]

Part 2:
[youtube]I5u_nJhMD4w[/youtube]

Part 3:
[youtube]6VcZRVw2k_o[/youtube]

Let me know if you can actually understand anything I'm saying. I'm not a natural in front of a camera and the accent doesn't help either, though it could be considered an asset in this case ;).

Grab a beer. The total length is about 25 min.

Kai

Loved the videos, learned a lot! Thanks Kai!

Used the info in these videos to plan out the decoction I am currently making. Thanks again Kai.

I finally got it done and released to YouTube:

Part 1:
[youtube]_V1zt0mW084[/youtube]

Part 2:
[youtube]I5u_nJhMD4w[/youtube]

Part 3:
[youtube]6VcZRVw2k_o[/youtube]

Let me know if you can actually understand anything I'm saying. I'm not a natural in front of a camera and the accent doesn't help either, though it could be considered an asset in this case ;).

Grab a beer. The total length is about 25 min.

Kai

Thanks Kai - I learned more from your videos than I did from any other source! Since the time you made these videos in 2008, is there anything today you would do differently? For most decoctions, Would you still recommend the Enhanced Double Decoction method over other methods?

Thanks Kai - I learned more from your videos than I did from any other source! Since the time you made these videos in 2008, is there anything today you would do differently? For most decoctions, Would you still recommend the Enhanced Double Decoction method over other methods?

Well, it looks like Kaiser hasn't visited this forum for just over the last two years. What a shame!

Back