Best Flanders Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatjonguy

Now with 57.93% more awesome!
Reaction score
Looking to split a 10 gallon batch of Flanders Red Wort into two carboys. One will be Roeselare the other getting some BugCountry 2013.

What is the best Flanders Recipe? I have a cooler as a MT so that is a concern. Although I have been wanting to add a BIAB bag to my setup...

Not sure there is such a thing as the best recipe, but Jeff at Bikes, Beers, and Adventures has done a good job documenting his recipe each year and his reasoning for changes. I believe he started with Jamil's recipe from Brewing Classic styles.

I did one a few weeks ago based on the Jamil recipe. Is it the best Flanders Red? I'll let you know in a couple of years. :)

The part of the process that was new to me is that I started with WLP001 and kept the fermentation in the low to mid 60s to keep it relatively slow. Then when it measured in the mid .020s I racked it to a bottling bucket with the Roeselare and oak cubes. I'll leave it in the plastic until the pellicle falls, then put it into glass for another year.

Back