Aromatic Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Do the aromatic additions "taste" deplete over time as it does with dry hopping? And is there a difference in it's staying power from a 5 min addition to a 0 min addition? Or does it all deplete over time anyway? At different rates?

Five minute addition compared to 0 minute addition; five minutes adds some bittering along with the aroma. Aroma additions at 0 minutes are comparatively fleeting. Compare it to chopped parsely. The parsely left on the cutting board for half a day will have less aroma than when freshly chopped. Luckily in a capped bottle or in a keg aroma additions last much longer. How much longer depends upon the brew they are in. The aroma additions in a highly hopped brew will seem to be depleted sooner than in a brew that is less hop forward bittered.

So the aroma dissipates even from a 5 min addition?
Is there really any difference between a 0 min addition and dry hopping?

rodwha said:
So the aroma dissipates even from a 5 min addition?
Is there really any difference between a 0 min addition and dry hopping?

You'll isomerize some alpha acids with a 0 minute addition due to the heat of the wort; dry hopping is simply an oil extraction process. Many folks are having great success replacing dry hopping with the hop stand technique whereby hops are added to the post-boil wort at 180F and allowed to stand there for 20-60 minutes. I'm definitely a fan of this method.

So isomerized alpha acids will be locked into the beer?
I ask because I've been intending on stashing a 6 pack of each beer for some time (>year), but it wouldn't be worthwhile if I lose some of what my beer was intended to be, such as with an IPA.

"...whereby hops are added to the post-boil wort at 180F and allowed to stand there for 20-60 minutes."

I thought the wort needed to be cooled down quickly? I add my extract or honey after flame out, and so I've not done any 0 min additions, and have changed them to 5 min additions because I've wanted to chill my wort down as quickly as possible.

rodwha said:
"...whereby hops are added to the post-boil wort at 180F and allowed to stand there for 20-60 minutes."

I thought the wort needed to be cooled down quickly? I add my extract or honey after flame out, and so I've not done any 0 min additions, and have changed them to 5 min additions because I've wanted to chill my wort down as quickly as possible.

This is one of those conflicts many are expressing with hop stands... only time will tell ;)

Back