Strange foam on my raspberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanillabean

Reaction score
I started this wine on feb 13. OG 1.102. Pitched with 71b 1122. Racked on 2/23 and removed fruit. SG 1.032 and low activity. Topped up with rasp/apple juice blend. It has been going nuts ever since and accumulating this strange foam on top that kind of sticks to the carboy. I stired it last night and it went away. This morning it is back and still going nuts. This is the first time I have used 71b. Is this normal?

image-3952095694.jpg

Just looks like pulp to me, once fermentation stops and the co2 degasses it will sink to the bottom.

...that is unless you got an infection and it's a vinegar mother lol.

Agree with Inner10...the pulp has had the majority of the color sucked out of it. My raspberries are white by the time I remove them.

I had that on my raspberry wine. It freaked me out when I saw it too. Just give it a little time it will sink or you can filter it off. Either way mine came out awesome hope you enjoy it I did mine. Only have one bottle left saving it for a special occasion I had to hide it from my wife lol.

It's not fruit. I had the fruit in a nylon bag and have removed it. It's definitely some kind of foam. Just hope it's friendly foam. Lol

It's not fruit. I had the fruit in a nylon bag and have removed it. It's definitely some kind of foam. Just hope it's friendly foam. Lol

Foaming is normal for some wines. Can you be a little more specific about whatcha got in there?

I have a grape jam wine that is doing the same thing but it tastes/smells amazing

As the gravity drops the foaming will stop. I have 2 batches that are foaming right now too. No big deal because I am used to seeing the foaming.

You didn't rinse the carboy out good enough its soap suds!

Just kidding. Bags don't filter out all parts of the fruit, thats while you keep racking to clarify. Nothing to woryy about. Enjoy raspberry wine is my favorite.

Well I racked today. All the funk fell to the bottom and wow does it taste good! Clearing nicely. I really want this to age a few months at least....hope we can keep out mits off of it.

Back