Washing Yeast Wrong am I ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
Im trying to save yeast , I have red and understand the {Stickey}on yeast washing , but however I did it wrong compared to the illistration , Tell me if you wASH your yeast what your opinion is ....

Here is what i did : 1-upon emptying a primary I added water to the (yeast cake) slaushed it around and then directly poured into mason jars with no settling proses , In the inllistration they let it settle and pour the liquid off the top , Mine was well mix up "not settled" , Im sure there is yeast but how clean and or how do i wash it from this point ? I can post pics if needed ?

If it were me, depending how much actual yeast in the jar; i'd either use it and do it right next time, or make a starter, settle a short time, and decant the yeast off the trub if I was fussy.
Depends what you plan to do with it.

If you have mostly trub, just do it again next time. Otherwise I wouldn't really worry about it.

There's nothing wrong with that. You can shake the jars you collected, give it a few minutes to settle, then pour off from there.

I usually collect a lot from the carboy into multiple jars. I 'wash' each one on it's own and end up with several jars with just a bit of clean yeast in each one. Once they are all clean, I decant and combine them all into one jar that is pitchworthy.

I filled 3 jars , They are in the fridge now . CAN I re,shake them cold or let them get to room temp ?

I filled 3 jars , They are in the fridge now . CAN I re,shake them cold or let them get to room temp ?

Cold is fine.

Shake. Let them sit about 10 minutes or so, until the hop crud is mostly at the bottom, pour off the light colored beer/yeast mix at the top into new sanitized jars. Do that with all 3 jars and return the new jars with the yeast beer mix to the fridge. Wait a day or two and all the yeast will be in a nice layer on the bottom of the jar. Pour off most of the beer on top of them all. Combine all 3 little yeast cakes into one jar and top the single jar off with clean boiled and cooled water.

You're done.

I'm sorry, but does the OP's typing and syntax give anyone else besides me a rage-fueled migraine?

Yep. He's probably typing on a phone. If not, he should be slapped.

no just you, Mrs Emily post, i see nothing wrong with the way it written, it seems perfectly normal to me, why do you ask, :)

Back