Trying a Citra IPA/IIPA recipe. What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtron

Reaction score
My first time brewing with Citra hops, but I've really liked every citra based ale I've had. Below is what I've come up with for a simple citra IPA/IIPA. What do you think?

12# Pale 2-row
1# Crystal 60
1 oz Centennial (60 min)
1 oz Citra(30 min)
1 oz Citra(15 min)
1 oz Citra(5 min)
1 oz Citra(dry hop)
Wyeast 1056

single infusion at 152

It looks decent for a regular IPA. Nothing horribly wrong, but there are a few tweaks you could make for better hop focus, higher quality, and lower residual sweetness.

*Use a lighter grade of crystal at 1/4 to 1/2 lb.
*Supplement some of the base malt with sugar to help dry out the beer to below 1.013 FG.
*Make a big yeast starter with the 1056.
*Do a full volume boil with no top off water.
*I like to use a little wheat or carapils for head retention.
*Use 1/2 oz. each Centennial at 60 and 30, saving the Citra for 10-0-DH, while adding some Amarillo (a very good compliment to Citra) in equal amounts... Possibly even more in the dryhop.

6-8 oz. total hops for a regular IPA ~ 9-12 oz. for a Double IPA.

It looks decent for a regular IPA. Nothing horribly wrong, but there are a few tweaks you could make for better hop focus, higher quality, and lower residual sweetness.

*Use a lighter grade of crystal at 1/4 to 1/2 lb.
*Supplement some of the base malt with sugar to help dry out the beer to below 1.013 FG.
*Make a big yeast starter with the 1056.
*Do a full volume boil with no top off water.
*I like to use a little wheat or carapils for head retention.
*Use 1/2 oz. each Centennial at 60 and 30, saving the Citra for 10-0-DH, while adding some Amarillo (a very good compliment to Citra) in equal amounts... Possibly even more in the dryhop.

6-8 oz. total hops for a regular IPA ~ 9-12 oz. for a Double IPA.

Since it's my first time experimenting with citra, I wanted to go with basically all citra. I threw centennial in there at 60 because I already have a bunch of it and like it as a bittering hop. Next time I may try some amarillo with the citra.

I can't comment on this because I just read it and my resulting beer is still fermenting but someone mentioned to me that a bit of honey malt is a really nice compliment to citra. It sounded like a good idea so I went with it. That was my first time with Citra as well and holy crap they smelled great in the boil!

I can't comment on this because I just read it and my resulting beer is still fermenting but someone mentioned to me that a bit of honey malt is a really nice compliment to citra. It sounded like a good idea so I went with it. That was my first time with Citra as well and holy crap they smelled great in the boil!

Kern River uses honey malt in their Citra DIPA. The brewer indeed says that he feels it makes the hops "pop" a bit.

I have this kegged, pretty good (if you like Citra):

12# 2 row
1.25# Munich
.5# Melanoiden
.5# Crystal 60
.5# Carapils

.75oz Citra FWH
1oz Citra 15
1oz Citra 10
1oz Citra 5
1oz Citra 0
3oz Citra Dryhop

579489_650534985930_1199015989_n.jpg

I also made a Centennial IPA with just 12# 2 row and 1# Crystal 15, that was one of my favorites. Would probably be really good with Citra too.

Looks like a good recipe. I would possibly cut the crystal 60 in half. Hop schedule looks good maybe add a flameout addition for aroma but you are dry hopping so still would be good without. I like my IPAs to end up in the 1.013-1.016 range so mashing at 152 should get you about there. What yeast are you planning to use and what temp are you going to ferment at? I also add a bit of aromatic and either Munich or victory. Helps give it a bit more maltiness.

I have this kegged, pretty good (if you like Citra):

12# 2 row
1.25# Munich
.5# Melanoiden
.5# Crystal 60
.5# Carapils

.75oz Citra FWH
1oz Citra 15
1oz Citra 10
1oz Citra 5
1oz Citra 0
3oz Citra Dryhop

579489_650534985930_1199015989_n.jpg

That looks familiar, except I have been using 1.25oz additions for 15/10/5/0 instead of 1oz. I have went through about 7 kegs of it by now. All of my friends that have tried it love it. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/3-floyds-zombie-dust-attempt-help-info-requested-245456/

Looks like a good recipe. I would possibly cut the crystal 60 in half. Hop schedule looks good maybe add a flameout addition for aroma but you are dry hopping so still would be good without. I like my IPAs to end up in the 1.013-1.016 range so mashing at 152 should get you about there. What yeast are you planning to use and what temp are you going to ferment at? I also add a bit of aromatic and either Munich or victory. Helps give it a bit more maltiness.

I'm using Wyeast 1056 (American Ale). Unfortunately, I don't have any temp control, but my basement stays a pretty constant 68 during the summer. Also, I think I'm going to cut the crystal to 0.5# and maybe add some honey malt as suggested.

I brewed this last weekend with a few modifications (added 1 lb honey malt, cut back crystal 60 to 1/2 lb, reduced 2-row to 12lbs). Brew day went well except for the 95 degree heat. I only missed my gravity by 1 point at 1.069.

I took a reading yesterday and holy crap does it smell and taste awesome. It's down to 1.011. I can't wait to get this brew dry hopped and kegged.

Back