Challenger VI gas tube question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-Mursed

Reaction score
I have 3 Challenger VI kegs with the plastic gas tubes and I want to modify them to accept a metal gas tube.

My question is this....

*Should I drill out the hole and use a standard replacement steel gas tube?

*Should I drill out the hole and cut down a used liquid tube I have and use it as the replacement gas tube? (Are gas and liquid tubes the same diameter???)

My goal is to get these kegs modified and hopefully not have to spend any more money doing it. Either way I go, these plastic pieces of crap are getting trashed.

Well....5 minutes on Google and the answer was found.

Cut down one of the used liquid tubes I have and drilled out the port. Fits like a glove. Now I just have to do the other two.

Must have been divine intervention when I bought the 3 used liquid tubes.
Thank you Jesus!!!!! :rockin:

Last edited by a moderator:
What is wrong with the plastic ones? I have one keg that has a plastic tube and was told that is is fine to use

chemman14 said:
What is wrong with the plastic ones? I have one keg that has a plastic tube and was told that is is fine to use

It is until it splits or breaks. I just have more faith in stainless steel. Plus the plastic replacements are not as easy to come by.

If yours are working, keep using them.
Mine were pretty worn out.

I was in the same boat you were in, almost ready to drill out the hole. However, I decided against it and just bought a few of the tapered plastic dip tubes from William's Brewing. I wasn't too confident about getting a good deal if I did the drilling myself.

Back