High fermentation temp...time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfmanbrad

Reaction score
I had a heater near my BIPA the night after I brewed it to keep it above 70 and when I checked it yesterday morning it was fermenting like crazy and the temp was off the chart of my thermo strip. I put the heater on fan, and wrapped it with a cool wet towel. This morning it was at 72. I rewetted (if that's the word) the towel and left the fan on. Im sure itll drop more. My question is, at what stage of fermentation do off flavors arrive most from off temps, and am I gonna have an ester batch from probably 12 hours of active fermentation above 75? Thanks for any any advice.

I had a heater near my BIPA the night after I brewed it to keep it above 70 and when I checked it yesterday morning it was fermenting like crazy and the temp was off the chart of my thermo strip. I put the heater on fan, and wrapped it with a cool wet towel. This morning it was at 72. I rewetted (if that's the word) the towel and left the fan on. Im sure itll drop more. My question is, at what stage of fermentation do off flavors arrive most from off temps, and am I gonna have an ester batch from probably 12 hours of active fermentation above 75? Thanks for any any advice.

I think the first 24-48 hours are the most critical for the formation of off-flavors.

I realize that your yeast package probably said to "keep above 70 until fermentation starts" or something like that. But those instructions are terrible. Ideally, you'd pitch enough yeast to ferment the beer and start it much lower and allow it to rise to fermentation temperature. That seems to provide the best flavors. What strain did you use? Some strains can handle higher temperatures than others.

I'm no expert, but I am sure you will have some off-flavors produced from those first 12 hours at high temp (especially depending on how high the temp got). But as long as you cooled it after 12ish hours and its been maintained since then, I wouldn't stress over it. I think some of the off-flavors can be reduced by extra time in bottles when conditioning.

Fruityness, not bad-it has 13 oz of cascade in it, so that won't hurt. The diacetyl is my concern. 2 months in bottles solves a lot of issues though. Homebrew had...now relaxed

Back