Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpep16

Reaction score
I bottled a Surly IPA clone 2 1/2 week ago. I put one in the fridge the other day and gave it try. Taste is pretty good but it foamed like crazy when I pour. Almost pure foam. Is the beer over carbonated? The recipe called for three weeks in bottle before refrigerating.
Any thoughts?

What should my next move be?

If you didnt reach your volume(x # of beers) but used the same amount of priming sugar you may have over- carbed thats one possibility.Otherwise its a sanitation issue or you are pouring them agressively.Or worse you bottled before it reached its final gravity.

I used 3/4 cup I think. I will have to look. Should I put another bottle in the fridge and hope it was just that bottle.

Sounds to me like it needed slightly more time in the primary or it has a gusher bug. If it's over carb'd from having residual fermentable malts, it'll be fine except that it'll pour as foam, which means you'll have to pour it in a pitcher and wait for the head to die down before drinking. That, or you might have bottle bomb potential.:rockin:

Back