step mash in kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorRobert

Reaction score
So I want to do a step mash. I was wondering if I could do that in my kettle, so I can apply direct heat? Then pour the hot mash w/ the grains into my regular mash tun (10 galloon cooler) for straining and sparging.

The issue I see with this is pouring the mash is that it'll be clumpy, and splatter, heavey and hot. So am I stupid for even thinking of doing this or do other people do it.

The other way id thought would be to mash thick, then add boiling water to raise the temp, but I would need help in the calculations. Anyone have a resouce for that?

Thanks

I've done this, but you have to make sure you have the heat kinda low and stir like crazy so you don't scorch your wort.

I am fairly new to this as well, so others may have better insight, but I know
Beersmith can do the calculations for you. I am sure other brewing software could as well. I know Beersmith has a free trial period if you wanted to try it out. If you are just doing one or two rests I think you could add water to reach the next rest, but if they are far too apart or if you want too many rests I think you will have to look into direct heating.
If you go that route I hope someone with more knowledge than me can tell you if there are any other problems with transfering, but I would use a pot to scoop during the tranfer and expect some heat loss as well as oxidation during this process.

This is what I do, and it works great! You do have to stir constantly, but on my stove top, lower BTUs than my prop burner, I've had zero issues with scorching the mash--I get more scorching during the hop boil, but that is just six small lines from the propane burner platform.

Here's my thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/st...iphon-lauter-three-tier-inspirational-210132/

I mash 10 - 14 lbs grain in 5-6 gal respectively. Then I sparge with another 4.5-5.5 gal. So, it's a 'thin' mash 2 qts per lb. I also use a 3qt Riverware SS sauce pot to ladle the mash into the lauter tun.:)

You could do a decoction, I did that for my berliner weisse and it worked pretty well. I had some hot and cold water handy to correct the temps and had to add a cup a couple of times but overall it worked well.

Now I just have to figure out where that is in the kindle version.

It's a line drawing of the author, Randy Mosher's rig. The chapter is titled Buckapound Brewery. Direct fire mash, SS keg and a half tall, with a tig welded copper bottom plate. He uses auto stir and dumps the entire mash through a two inch ball valve into a heated, hand made lauter tun. It's crazy cool.:rockin:

Back