IPA too sweet after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbauer210

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about 5 years so I somewhat know what I'm doing. I recently brewed an American IPA. Everything went great on brew day. I tasted the wort when it went into the fermenter. It tasted like it had allot of potential. I let it sit in the primary for 14 days and fermented from 1.059 to 1.013. It fermented at higher temps than I would have liked it to. The ambient temp was unfortunately around 72deg so I imagine it was pretty warm in the bucket. Nonetheless I tasted it again before racking to the bottling bucket and it tasted great. Really nice hoppy flavor. I racked it on top of a 4oz corn sugar/water mix without stirring as I always do.

This weekend was one week into bottle conditioning so I popped one in the fridge to see how it was coming along. To my surprise it was very nicely carbed up already and held a great head. Color and clarity were nice too. On the front end it had a great hop aroma and taste but on the back end it had a sugary sweet taste that was more than I would have liked. It was drinkable but certainly not ideal. You think it is just too young still? I'm just a little confused because I've never had beer that was fully fermented and carbed taste so sweet...especially since it wasn't sweet going into the bottle.

I don't think 4 oz of corn sugar in 5+ gallons (assuming) of beer would make it sweet. Was this all grain? Extract? Partial mash? Maybe you mashed at too high a temp.

It was extract. The strange thing is that I think I tasted it after I added the sugar and it didn't have that taste. I guess only time will tell. Patience is the most difficult part of this hobby.

It was extract. The strange thing is that I think I tasted it after I added the sugar and it didn't have that taste. I guess only time will tell. Patience is the most difficult part of this hobby.

That's true! The only thing that I can think of beside the priming sugar still being "tastable" is if the recipe is a little low in bittering. Sometimes when the flavors meld, the sweetness of the extract can be tasted more. What was your recipe?

Maybe it's a hops flavor? Some varieties, like Amarillo, seem really juicy and sweet to me.

Just for fun....here is a pic I snapped before I slugged it down.

IMG_1097.jpg

I'd watch out for bottle bombs. If it really is sweet, you have a lot of residual sugar in it that will keep fermenting. I've never had that much carbonation after 1 week. Did you taste it before adding the extra sugar?

At week 2 try another and report back.

I'd watch out for bottle bombs. If it really is sweet, you have a lot of residual sugar in it that will keep fermenting. I've never had that much carbonation after 1 week. Did you taste it before adding the extra sugar?

At week 2 try another and report back.

Yeah...That is my fear. As you can see, that glass is well carbed. Anymore and I'm afraid of what may happen. I tasted it after adding the sugar and it didn't taste very sweet.

Hey, I see you're a New Yorker. Do you buy homebrew supplies at the 2nd Ave Whole Foods?

No....Only if it is an emergency. That whole foods is 10 blocks from me so it is convenient for last minute stuff if I've already started. Otherwise I get the bulk of my supplies from Brooklyn Homebrew which is an awesome shop.

My guess is that the hop bitterness is starting to fade, which really makes the crystal malts pop (especially if you used Briess C-malts). How much crystal did you use in your recipe?

This lager kit came from Brooklyn Homebrew. I'm actually in Bkln.

That 2nd Ave store has a great selection of bottled brew, even if their homebrew supplies are limited.

Solved.... you are aerating during bottling. That is what causes the 'sweet after bottling taste.' It took me 3 bad batches to figure that out. I just don't know what to do with 150 bottles of sweet, crappy beer.....

jakenbacon said:
Solved.... you are aerating during bottling. That is what causes the 'sweet after bottling taste.' It took me 3 bad batches to figure that out. I just don't know what to do with 150 bottles of sweet, crappy beer.....

Could someone confirm or deny? Explanation?

mike_in_ak said:
Could someone confirm or deny? Explanation?

I'd love to hear more on this too. I thought oxidation caused a cardboard taste? I've a few beers that have that sweetness and I assumed it was a poor balance between bitterness and malt

That's true! The only thing that I can think of beside the priming sugar still being "tastable" is if the recipe is a little low in bittering. Sometimes when the flavors meld, the sweetness of the extract can be tasted more. What was your recipe?

This!
Oxidation causes the beer to have a wet cardboard taste and it certainly does not taste sweet! Completely undesirable!

How much FINISHED beer did you bottle, while 4 oz doesn't sound like a lot of priming sugar, if you did not bottle a full 5 gallons you may have over primed. Also, at only one week the beer is still young regardless of the amount of carbonation you have. That is only part of the process as there is still conditioning occurring in the bottle.

Give the beer another couple weeks and see how it tastes, otherwise, as mentioned, give us the recipe, you may not have used enough bittering hops to balance out the sweetness of the malts.

No No No.... I am so tired of reading " what was your FG?" - Well, it doesn't really matter if it tasted good before bottling does it? And by adding even 5 oz of priming sugar, my beer would also not become as cloyingly sweet as the described 'sweet after bottling taste" even if I drank it strait from the bottling bucket with the sugar in it. This taste is so over powering - so ruthless - you really can't comment unless you have had it. I kept being told, its to young, age will do it (even know my first couple batches certainly didn't age more than a week and were ggggggreat!), well after 4 months of waiting on my Belma IPA I realized this isn't the case, not to mention I can crack my most recent brew open after a week and it is delicious. This oxidation issue I have found is really not to well known about, even when combing through Palmer's book I just couldn't find any good idea as to what causes this. Then I read about sherry flavors, well, I have never tried it but I had read it is a relatively sweet wine. And I thought hmmm, I have been bottling using my kettle because my buckets are in use, and I noticed my hoses keep getting shorter every brew day, among some bubbles in my bottle filler line - but I though there is no way this could be it - bubbles must be C02 - still no answer - Well, long story short, I had no other possible explainations - so lets bottle with long lines and good seals and a bottling bucket like I should have been. Well I am sitting here drinking a wonderful zombie dust clone that is a week old in the bottle, my first good batch out of the last 4 I have done recently. If your beer taste good before bottling, then the problem is obviously after that. Dont let people who have never experienced the issue tell you what it MUST be. This was the answer to mine, and I hope all of yours as well. Good luck everyone and report back with your findings, not opinions....

wow, a two year old thread resurrected. It came up on my "replies" list even though I didn't remember replying to it, although reading it jogged my memory.

So, you are claiming to have found a new source of a flaw that has alluded tens of thousands of other home brewers? I'd say it needs further verification than one brewers experience.

No No No.... I am so tired of reading " what was your FG?" - Well, it doesn't really matter if it tasted good before bottling does it? And by adding even 5 oz of priming sugar, my beer would also not become as cloyingly sweet as the described 'sweet after bottling taste" even if I drank it strait from the bottling bucket with the sugar in it. This taste is so over powering - so ruthless - you really can't comment unless you have had it. I kept being told, its to young, age will do it (even know my first couple batches certainly didn't age more than a week and were ggggggreat!), well after 4 months of waiting on my Belma IPA I realized this isn't the case, not to mention I can crack my most recent brew open after a week and it is delicious. This oxidation issue I have found is really not to well known about, even when combing through Palmer's book I just couldn't find any good idea as to what causes this. Then I read about sherry flavors, well, I have never tried it but I had read it is a relatively sweet wine. And I thought hmmm, I have been bottling using my kettle because my buckets are in use, and I noticed my hoses keep getting shorter every brew day, among some bubbles in my bottle filler line - but I though there is no way this could be it - bubbles must be C02 - still no answer - Well, long story short, I had no other possible explainations - so lets bottle with long lines and good seals and a bottling bucket like I should have been. Well I am sitting here drinking a wonderful zombie dust clone that is a week old in the bottle, my first good batch out of the last 4 I have done recently. If your beer taste good before bottling, then the problem is obviously after that. Dont let people who have never experienced the issue tell you what it MUST be. This was the answer to mine, and I hope all of yours as well. Good luck everyone and report back with your findings, not opinions....

Bullsquamy! The OP was talking about a beer that had been in the bottle for ONE week. That is most definitely not enough time for a sherry-like flavor to develop as a result of oxidation.

One week in is early and you're most likely tasting the sugar that's left. If it's still sweet after another week I'd either reduce the corn sugar a little or pitch more yeast after brewing. I sacrifice almost a gallon from primary to secondary to bottle to avoid any sediment so I don't use all the corn sugar that's recommended and it's solved that problem for me. More yeast could affect the taste and ABV

jakenbacon said:
No No No....

Nein Nein Nein!

Also, I embarrassingly never realized I should adjust priming sugar to reflect losses to sediment in carboy. And I tend to massively dry hop from time to time, so I tend to lose a lot!

First, yes, this is the wrong post, I have been combing through multiple "sweet after bottling" threads for some time and this was not the right thread I thought, but didn't delete because I wanted to throw my findings out there. Hermit- obviously I am not the only one with the problem, and you can get sherry flavors from oxidation as written in how to brew, although usually referred to when dealing with HSA. Phelan- I have had a beer develop the flavor in a week, or what I assume is a sherry flavor, but obviously from the sounds of it you have experienced everything and know all there is to know. So, for those who read this post looking for explanation for this problem, look at your bottling procedure, there is nothing to lose and guess what it worked for me. Mike- I had a theory and tried it out, it fixed my problem, don't think that is opinion. Sorry to get everyone wriled up but this issue has been so annoying and I have been looking everywhere. So I was excited to share the information I collected. Like I said. Let us know if this fixes your "sweet" issue. I must also say that sweet is a misleading way to descibe it to someone who hasn't tried this, that's just the only way to put it I guess....

First, yes, this is the wrong post, I have been combing through multiple "sweet after bottling" threads for some time and this was not the right thread I thought, but didn't delete because I wanted to throw my findings out there. Hermit- obviously I am not the only one with the problem, and you can get sherry flavors from oxidation as written in how to brew, although usually referred to when dealing with HSA. Phelan- I have had a beer develop the flavor in a week, or what I assume is a sherry flavor, but obviously from the sounds of it you have experienced everything and know all there is to know. So, for those who read this post looking for explanation for this problem, look at your bottling procedure, there is nothing to lose and guess what it worked for me. Mike- I had a theory and tried it out, it fixed my problem, don't think that is opinion. Sorry to get everyone wriled up but this issue has been so annoying and I have been looking everywhere. So I was excited to share the information I collected. Like I said. Let us know if this fixes your "sweet" issue. I must also say that sweet is a misleading way to descibe it to someone who hasn't tried this, that's just the only way to put it I guess....
I'm no chemist but I can think of NO chemical reactions that would enable small amounts of oxygen in beer to convert something to sugar after a week, especially only affecting some brewers while missing others.

I'm no chemist but I can think of NO chemical reactions that would enable small amounts of oxygen in beer to convert something to sugar after a week, especially only affecting some brewers while missing others.

Of course not, it depends on the compounds that were oxidized....?

You most certainly CAN get "sherry" flavors from oxidation, and it is by far more common than "cardboard". The Sherry flavor is often picked out in homebrew competitions.

It's also called "madierizing" because it has a flavor very much like madiera.

Here's the thing, though- it's not sweet. It's almost "brandy"like in flavor, but it's not sweet. It's really common in oxidized wines, and oxidized beer but it's not a sweetness. It's the madierized flavor that is the symptom of oxidation, and not a sweet flavor.

Sweetness tends to come from underhopping, maillard reactions in the extract (partial boils), and so on, and not from oxidation.

Lol I know what a terrible response I made to the OP, like I said, my bad, I will find the post I originally wanted to reply to if I can friggin find it and post it here, that way you all don't think I am COMPLETELY retarded, I am certainly not saying every sweet by-product is because of this... especially the OP's...

You most certainly CAN get "sherry" flavors from oxidation, and it is by far more common than "cardboard". The Sherry flavor is often picked out in homebrew competitions.

It's also called "madierizing" because it has a flavor very much like madiera.

Here's the thing, though- it's not sweet. It's almost "brandy"like in flavor, but it's not sweet. It's really common in oxidized wines, and oxidized beer but it's not a sweetness. It's the madierized flavor that is the symptom of oxidation, and not a sweet flavor.

Sweetness tends to come from underhopping, maillard reactions in the extract (partial boils), and so on, and not from oxidation.

Thanks Yoop, and I really gotta try this sherry flavor to confirm like you said, I will report back!

Ya so is hot side aeration and that's pretty much a myth now..... Look I am not trying to say "this is the problem no matter what I say blah blah blah" But it's the only thing I have taken note to that seems to work.. Good luck... I am sure you have had this issue and solved it right?

Ya so is hot side aeration and that's pretty much a myth now..... Look I am not trying to say "this is the problem no matter what I say blah blah blah" But it's the only thing I have taken note to that seems to work.. Good luck... I am sure you have had this issue and solved it right?

Seriously, read the link Hermit posted. It really explains the "sweet sherry" aroma! It's not a myth, and it's not like HSA. This is a well understood part of the oxidative process. It's a chemical reaction. Really. And there are taste consequences, as well as other data. Really.

O my.... what have I done.... I apologize everyone. There is evidence here, I am wondering if the wonderful blissful Citra hops have hidden such flavors..... Maybe becoming more apparent...... The problem that is.....

Back