When to add Lactose to a Cream Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is an add anytime ingredient. I usually boil it up with water and add it at bottling but I have put it in the boil and secondary too.

It's fermenting now, so would the better choice be to put it in the secondary, or at bottling? Or, does it matter at all?

It's fermenting now, so would the better choice be to put it in the secondary, or at bottling? Or, does it matter at all?

It doesn't matter at all. It's nonfermentable, so it won't ferment out. It's sweet, though, and if were me, I'd add it to taste at bottling, unless you had a recipe that you knew was exactly how you liked it (a repeat). Then it could go in the boil if you wanted.

Its my first stout, and I have yet to taste it, needs about 10 more days in the primary, I may leave it in primary for 4 weeks instead of racking to secondary, but I might wanna free up that primary for another batch. I just was unsure about when to add lactose because I have seen some say put it in the boils, some say the secondary and some at bottling, I was just curious if there was any difference at all. My SG was 1.060 and it has been fermenting for 10 days now. So far I have had airlock activity from 3 hours after pitching and I am still getting a bubble every couple of minutes. Definitely the longest fermentation I have had so far, hence the reasoning for leaving it in the primary for about a month. Choices, choices....

BTW thanks for the info.

Back