O2 In Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
I understand that aeration is a key component to fermentation. Higher aeration promotes the aerobic phase of the yeast. But, how much aeration is proper? As much as possible? Or is a vigorous pour into the fementer adequate?

Depends on the OG and what type of yeast strain. I would say most of the time you will want to do more than a vigorous pour, shaking for 5 min seems to be the standard for those who don't use pure O2.

No, your OG would already be determined by the time the wort is in the fermenter. Poor aeration can only lead to poor yeast health and likely a lower cell count. This can in turn cause off flavors and perhaps higher than desired FG.

Er......yeah that's what I meant, FG not OG. Is that because the yeast would not consume all of the possible sugars? Or do yeast get "full" or something?

Well there is a lower cell count to consume the same amount of sugar. So you are basically asking the yeast to do more with less...which doesn't work, you get less with less.

Oxygen is important for yeast to be able to develop their cell wall properly. A weak cell wall means a few things. First, cell wall permeability is increased. This isn't a huge issue in a beer around 1.040-1.050. Any higher and the sugary water can possibly suck all the water out of the cell.

The second is that a yeast cell cannot properly bud. Yeast reproduce by budding. If the cell wall is thin and brittle, it cannot reproduce well.

Back