First Brew Questions - Weizenbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beyonder74

Reaction score
I am about to set off on my first brew day. I have all the equipment I 'think' I need but have a question about the ingredient kit I bought.

I have the Brewers Best Weizenbier kit. Having never brewed before, I don't know what this will taste like. The kit came with two cans of wheat extract, bittering hops, finishing hops, and Nottingham Yeast.

Can I add something to this kit to make it more like an Erdinger or even Blue Moon? If I wanted to add coriander and orange, how would I go about doing it? Are these items I can pick up at the brew store or is it a health food store?

What about using the priming sugar that comes with the kit? Should I buy some wheat DME for priming? Any suggestions on that would be welcome.

Thanks.

You should follow the kit instructions. That way, if you do everything correctly, it will come our how it was intended to.

That being said, what ingredients do you have(amount of Extract, amounts and types of hops, for example)? In order to get what you have to be a wit you would need orange peel and coriander. You would also need a different yeast. Nottingham is an Ale yeast that flocculates very well. Since wits are cloudy and require a special strain of yeast, you would need a liquid variety(Wyeast 3944 or White Labs 400) to make a true wit.

The coriander and orange should be added in the last 10 to 5 minutes of the boil and put them in a muslin bag. From my experience, leaving them loose is just a hassle.

Use the priming sugar.

Back