Fearing Batch #1 is a loser but knowledge gained.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Tasted my first bottle from Batch #1 today and was SLIGHTLY disappointed but not surprised.

When I brewed batch #2 I really wanted to do #1 over. Then batch #3 was better and I had gained SO much more knowledge.

Today I brewed my first mini mash and I have to think it was a perfect brew. Every time I have a brew day I feel I'm smarter then the last brew day.

Batch #1 was burned on the bottom (a lot - thanks to a "tip" from the local homebrew dude). I took way too long to cool down the wort and even read the recipe a little wrong with hops.

2 weeks in the Primary
1 week in the secondary
1 week in bottle

Of course too soon to really tell but . . . .

Beer tasted burned AND distinct diacetyl.

I had always felt batch 1 was a practice to see what I had to learn for future batches so in that it was a success. I was hoping for a miracle but . .

I'll keep tasting a bottle every week to see what's happening.

The one thing I'm coming away with is that I knew what the problems were AND they materialized. Sort of proud in a weird way LOL

Means I'm on the right knowledge track.

It's hard to make a first batch without about a dozen errors. My problem was (is) I don't brew enough, so it takes longer to learn. You're going to have a lot of beer on hand soon.

Although my first batch is far from being "done"(one week in primary), I've got extreme confidence that it will turn out great. What helped me tremendously was watching a friend brew a batch. And while this forum has been a huge help as well, there's nothing like hands-on experience.

Yea - I have done wine but that never meant boiling, cold breaks, hops and a dozen things that I had never done before.

Like pots that are a little too small and so forth. Stoves a little too warm, and just the little things you never even consider like how to pour a 3 gallon pot easily into a siphon.

I KNEW it would be a miracle if #1 came out!

Diacetyl is more of a concern with lagers than ales, if you're getting it in your batches, you should probably hold off on bottling a little longer and let the yeast clean up after themselves.

Hold off for more then 3 weeks?

Perhaps I miss spoke then. I had a very long Cold Break (212 to 80 in 1/2 hour - 80 to 75 in 2 hours) and I feel dimethyl sulfide continued to be produced . . .mahybe

What do DMS off-flavors taste like or oxidation for that matter - I don't feel the batch was contaminated.

The beer was clear - no chill haze that I could tell.

My cold breaks are now 212-66 in 15 minutes.

DMS is cooked corn, oxidation is cardboard... neither of which will taste anything at all like diacetyl.

I would say a 3 week fermentation is pretty much the absolute minimum amount of time. I almost always wait at least 4 weeks before I think about bottling.

And don't pour it out for atleast 3-4 months.

I have had a few brews that I thought were the nastiest beer I ever tasted but I put them aside. Pop one a month and see what is going on. One particular brew at about the 4 month mark was needed for a big bbq but I was doubtful it would be ok. Popped one open and it tasted good to me apparently to everyone else as well because the entire 5 gallons I brought were consumed. I had two other brews at the bbq as well and this one was requested 3-1 over them. You just never know how the brew will age out.

Just continue to gather bottles so you can let the brews sit until they reach their prime.

3 week fermentation is pretty much the absolute minimum amount of time

Wow - instructions say 1 week and 1 week and drink the next week. Even AHS sais 2 weeks and 3 weeks of bottling - SOMEONE is lieing LOL

I say 3 weeks and drink 4 weeks later.

As for diacetyl - was was rather buttery and thick - thus I thought it was diacetyl.

Time is your friend..

+1 Joker

Time wont fix infected batches, or lack of fermentables.. but it can help with over hoping, burnt flavors and a whole plethora of brewing mistakes etc.. Even if the brew is 100% perfect, it will still be "green" or not ready 4 weeks after brewing. Even my Heffe or Witbier that is supposed to be consumed a little green, I wait 6 weeks minimum. 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, 2 weeks bottle condition. You dont have to wait that long, but if it isnt good let it condition longer..

-DIG

That is my theory also - 3 weeks and then 4 weeks in the bottle minimum.

But I can resist having a bottle once a week to see how things are going.

Seemed . . . "thick".

+1 on giving it time. As was mentioned, bad beer can become good. What style was it? If it's a darker beer you very well might luck out and hit the "wow this is good" point in a few more months. If it's a light beer, then you may be stuck, but I'd still give it time. stick the stuff away, or if you have a freeloader, give them the ass ale to swill to open your bottle up and discourage him (bonus points if you tell him this is the best you've ever made before you give him the ass ale)

Back