Question about Safale S-04 temperature range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coders

Reaction score
I used Safale S-04 for the hard cider I'm brewing.

I noticed Fermentis says the ideal temperature range for fermentation is 59F - 75F.

When I initially pitched the yeast, the temperature of the wort was about 63F. A week later, it's a bit colder outside and since my primary is in the garage, the stick on temp gauge reads about 54-56F. There is still activity in the airlock, so I'm assuming fermentation is still going on.

I'm just wondering how low S-04 can ferment at. Will fermenting below the suggest temperature range produce any undesirable flavors?

Unfortunately I have made the same mistake with S-04 and it can produce significant acetaldehyde flavors when fermented that cold. I would recommend trying to increase the temperature and leaving it on the primary yeast for longer to allow it to convert the acetaldehyde that may have been produced. You could take a taste sample too after primary to see if there has been any production of off flavors. You might pick up one of those personal fan heaters from Wal-Mart just put it on low until the temp stabilizes in the yeasts range. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but in my experience S-04 doesn't like getting cold.

I would try raising the temperature into the low 60s until fermentation ends, then ramp it up to 70 to make sure the yeast clear out any fermentation by-products.

I always ferment S-04 at 59F for a week, then move it to room temp for another 1-2 weeks, and end up with a pretty consistently clean fermentation.

I ferment with it at 12-13c for the first 4 days or so, let it rise for about 24 hours and then cool it again.

Do you then need to cool it off just before bottling ?

You don't have to. It's going to bottle condition at 70-72*F anyway.

I do cold crash to 38* for a few days before kegging/bottling to clear the beer, but I'm set up to do that rather easily (fermenter chamber with STC-1000 controller) just by pushing a couple of buttons.

It falls very clear in minimal time. The degree of flocculation is mad, but it also takes a little while longer than others to carbonate up. Only 3 days for Notty and about 10 days for 04

I know this is am older thread but figured I'd share my experience so far. I pitched S-04 on Monday evening and 48 hours later, it's still bubbling away pretty vigorously. I had to replace my airlock with a blow off tube because the star san solution kept bubbling out. I've been keeping the temp of my swamp cooler water between 60-63F so far too. Probably by Saturday I'll take it out of the water and let it warm up to room temperature. OG was 1.062, I'll report back as fermentation progresses

Just started an English Porter yesterday (5/26), bubbling away smooth today thru a purged starSan keg. Started ferm at 23C, let the ferm chamber drop it down to 16C (actually 16.8C actual) today.

we're bubbling thru the serving keg to a secondary blow off nicely. :cool:

fwiw, I run S04 at 65°F for the first 4-5 days. then let it rise .5°F per day to 68°F where it sits until it's time to crash and keg it. I'm doing a 1.106 OG imperial stout tomorrow with it. It's my go-to "heavy lift" strain...

Cheers!

I have also fermented some beers with it, around 18c and that gave me a fairly clean profile. Altough it is after all an English yeast, and it will give some "Englishness" even at cooler temps. Wich I don't mind since I like British beers and ciders.
The only gripe I have with it and what made me stop using it is a slight tartness that I can't seem to get rid off, even if I ramp up the temp a bit towards the end of the fermentation.
Edit: noticed now we all out here zombie- huntin'.

Zombie lives matter.

I recently used S-04 warm at 69 F (20.5 C). It finished in 6 days and was extremely clean, which was unexpected since I was aiming for something more fruity. In fact it was so clean that I even called it a classic American pilsner. Now I'm not sure what to do with this yeast anymore. If I use it again, I'll expect clean, allowing malt and hops to shine through, especially if fermented warm. Maybe next time I'll ferment cool and see what the difference is.

I didn't realize that I had resurrected anything <puts wand down> ;) I completely disregarded the timestamps, as the thread content was just what I was looking for when I pitched my S04 a bit warm and wanted to learn other's experiences with a similar situation.

Back