Heads up hop heads - Mosaic (HBC 369) at freshops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to cut back the crystal as well, but this is a prepackaged kit from AHS. Thanks for the input though guys. I'll let you know what I go with. For you're help you may wanna check out FHBS I just seen they listed pounds of a "popular" hop via facebook. Got myself one :rockin:

Edit: They had amarillo, but they sold out pretty quick

Appreciate the heads up. I had a metric ton of hops in the freezer, but I saw they had Citra, and I only had about a pound of it, so I got another 2 pounds, along with some Citra leaf, and some Columbus I need for my HT clone.

I saw the Amarillo, but I have 2+ LB's of pellet and leaf, each, and figured it was short enough for people so I skipped it! My favorite hop for sure.

Mashing now
Think i'm gonna go with:
1oz Magnum @ 60
1oz Simcoe @ 15
1.5oz Mosaic @ 10
1oz Amarillo @ 10
1oz Citra @ 5
1 oz Mosaic @ 0
1oz Amarillo @ 0

I like it!!

Maybe pop it with some Mosaic at 5, .5 oz or so.. Unless you are saving it for a Dry hop. I'm thinking Mosaic and Amarillo in the dry hop.. Yes sir!!

Good luck..

Mosaic has ALOT! of citrus notes. I was floored when I first cracked open my bottle of mosaic pale. I think it would pair nicely with a nice spicy, fruity, dank hop. Something like a simcoe, chinook, mosaic or even a columbus, amarillo, mosaic would work well. It is super clean, refreshing and crisp as well.

I pitched the yeast a half hour ago. I planned the dryhop with Amarillo and Mosaic. Looking forward to this one.

I've had a few chilling in the beer fridge for about 2 days. I get alot of stone fruit (peach, nectarines, and apricot) aromas and flavors. Take a peach and mix it with an orange, this is what you'll get. I feel this specific hop would do very well in a wheat beer or maybe a saison even.

I've had a few chilling in the beer fridge for about 2 days. I get alot of stone fruit (peach, nectarines, and apricot) aromas and flavors. Take a peach and mix it with an orange, this is what you'll get. I feel this specific hop would do very well in a wheat beer or maybe a saison even.

Sounds like it might also do well in a Rye beer as well. I can't wait to get my mash tun so I can start AG. It gets a bit pricey trying to play around with extracts as I don't have a LHBS. NB I believe has a Rye LME though. I decided on opening the experimental hops I recently purchased and gave em a whiff. I think they will play well with Mosaic as well, but then again I can't be sure. But I'm thinking I will use them, some Mosaic, and Galaxy next.

Im really happy with this one, 1oz of Mosaic in the whirlpool, It has a good aroma and flavor of blueberry that is accented well with the citrus and dank from the Chinook dry hopping. I think this combination is better as a pale ale than if i upped the amounts for an IPA.

IMG_2322.jpg

I tried a hydro sample of my Mosaic IPA. Can't remember what the hell I put in there, but I know I had a fair bit of Mosaic. I think I used just Chinook, Simcoe and Amarillo, and maybe some Belma, with the balance being toward Mosaic.

Pretty fruity.. Maybe a bit too much. Will probably hit it with some Columbus or Chinook with some Mosaic to boot.

Anyways.. It was sweet, but wasn't done, it's at 1.012 from 1.060, so it needs a couple more points, atleast to 1.010.

I tried a hydro sample of my Mosaic IPA. Can't remember what the hell I put in there, but I know I had a fair bit of Mosaic. I think I used just Chinook, Simcoe and Amarillo, and maybe some Belma, with the balance being toward Mosaic.

Pretty fruity.. Maybe a bit too much. Will probably hit it with some Columbus or Chinook with some Mosaic to boot.

Anyways.. It was sweet, but wasn't done, it's at 1.012 from 1.060, so it needs a couple more points, atleast to 1.010.

I noticed that as well at first. Give it a few weeks in bottles and cold conditioning, it'll become alot better. The overly tartness of the fruit will fade leaving a nice crisp finish.

I ended up going a little crazy with my late and dry hops-

Whirlpool hop steep:
1oz Mosaic
1oz Falconer's Flight
2oz Simcoe

1st Dry Hop (pellets in hop bag in secondary for 4 days):
1oz Mosaic
.5oz Falconer's Flight

2nd Dry Hop (removed 1st bag and replaced):
1oz Mosaic
1oz Simcoe

3rd Dry Hop (racked to keg and dry hopped in keg for 3 days):
1oz Mosaic

Initially I'm getting loads of citrus fruit from both the aroma and flavor...mainly tangerine and orange, but I'm also getting some blueberry and even pineapple as it warms. It definitely has a very complex and pungent hop aroma, but mostly citrus fruit. This beer is VERY green, so these flavors may change/meld/etc. I'm curious to see how this one turns out after a few weeks in the keg, but for now its already DELICIOUS!

So I changed my whole plan once I got the new byo magazine and saw the honey basil pale ale recipe.

This is what I have and I think it would work nicely.

4lbs briess 2 row
1lbs gambrinus honey malt
1lbs briess caramel 10L
1lbs flaked oats

6lbs Pilsen lme
1lbs Pilsen dme

1oz summit @ 60
2oz mosaic @ 10
3oz basil @ 10
.5lbs honey @ 10

1oz mosaic 7 day dry hop

It's my first partial mash recipe, and im not sure what temps to mash at and whatnot, but My buddy I brew with has done a bunch of them. He may have some answers, but I thought I'd see what people thought of this.

Wow... #1 of honey malt, plus #1 of crystal?

No offense, but that doesn't sound very good.. Was that a recipe in BYO, or did you make that up?

Wow... #1 of honey malt, plus #1 of crystal?

No offense, but that doesn't sound very good.. Was that a recipe in BYO, or did you make that up?

No, I'm just saying that's what I have on hand...sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear at all.

Any thoughts on how much of what I should use?

And no, this isn't the recipe from byo...I thought I'd try my own take on the idea...the byo recipe doesn't use honey malt, just the .5lbs of honey at 10 minutes and I've brewed enough beer with honey to know it doesn't ever leave a honey flavor. So I'm trying something new.

I would not go over .5# of honey malt, IMO. Cut the crystal out of you are using the honey malt as well.

Also- I've been told honey malt needs to be mashed as well if you are doing extract, so.. YMMV. I'm all grain so I haven't really confirmed it if matters or not. Some will say you can steep it like a crystal malt.

drives_a_bike said:
So I changed my whole plan once I got the new byo magazine and saw the honey basil pale ale recipe.

This is what I have and I think it would work nicely.

4lbs briess 2 row
1lbs gambrinus honey malt
1lbs briess caramel 10L
1lbs flaked oats

6lbs Pilsen lme
1lbs Pilsen dme

1oz summit @ 60
2oz mosaic @ 10
3oz basil @ 10
.5lbs honey @ 10

1oz mosaic 7 day dry hop

It's my first partial mash recipe, and im not sure what temps to mash at and whatnot, but My buddy I brew with has done a bunch of them. He may have some answers, but I thought I'd see what people thought of this.

I think that 1# each of honey and crystal 10 would be fine in this grain bill. Reason being is that each only accounts for roughly 6% of the total grain bill (if you include the extract). With a bigger beer you need more specialty grain. If this was a lighter pale ale, say 1.050 OG, then I would definitely be adding less specialty grains. That's why I think it's better to deal in percentages of the grain bill, not pounds (like pro brewers do).

I think that 1# each of honey and crystal 10 would be fine in this grain bill. Reason being is that each only accounts for roughly 6% of the total grain bill (if you include the extract). With a bigger beer you need more specialty grain. If this was a lighter pale ale, say 1.050 OG, then I would definitely be adding less specialty grains. That's why I think it's better to deal in percentages of the grain bill, not pounds (like pro brewers do).

Perfect! Thanks bulldawgbrewer, that's what I was thinking when I plugged it all into brew pal.

Beer was down to 1.010 when I kegged it. Everything tasted pretty good. Kegged it and dry hopped it with 2oz of Mosaic in the keg.

Overall after some time. It's sweet. This hop is very fruity and sweet. Not cloying sweet. I had the above hops in there, and it's got a mix of pine and fruit. I get the citrusy pine, but I also get the berry notes in there. They are very pronounced.

I'm thinking if you like a berry note, toss some Belma in there, Mosaic and use some golden naked oats, as your "crystal malt" which will give you some sweetness and also lend a berry note.

As it stands, my recipe I came up with, was pretty good. Simple, but good. I had roughly 10 ounces of C40 in there, and I think I would probably cut that back by half next time. At 10 points, the beer is sweeter than I'd like, yet still has a very firm bitterness and bite to it.

I just tried one of my "green" beers'. Tasted great, but so fruity! My recipe was from AHS budget IPA kit, I switched out the hops. Including dry hopping i used 9 oz of hops with the 1.054 beer. (6oz boil, 3oz DH) I was expecting more hops, but the crystal weighed in at 1lb. My next try will definitely include some Columbus or a bit more Simcoe...I have zero dank in there. Its all fruit...I also plan on halving the crystal. Don't get me wrong this is a good beer!...just looking for more dank..

thaworm69 said:
I just tried one of my "green" beers'. Tasted great, but so fruity! My recipe was from AHS budget IPA kit, I switched out the hops. Including dry hopping i used 9 oz of hops with the 1.054 beer. (6oz boil, 3oz DH) I was expecting more hops, but the crystal weighed in at 1lb. My next try will definitely include some Columbus or a bit more Simcoe...I have zero dank in there. Its all fruit...I also plan on halving the crystal. Don't get me wrong this is a good beer!...just looking for more dank..

I completely agree. Now that my ipa has been in the keg for a few weeks the fruit has calmed down a little bit, but it's still definitely all fruit bomb and no dank. Unless you're really into that, this hop should be combined with more dank C hops to balance out the fruit.

I just glad I had some chinook and simcoe in there with mine. I can't imagine what it would taste like without them. TOO fruity and sweet.

It's a great hop, I think it'll fit the bill very very well. I just needs something to balance it back to the middle.

i made an imperial red/amber hop-bomb a few weeks ago that was all cascade and amarillo in the kettle (including a 175*F hop-stand). i had an extra 3/4 of a gallon that i fermented in a jug. dry-hopped that extra jug with 0.6 oz mosaic (main batch dry-hopped with simcoe, columbus and just a touch of amarillo). it will be interesting to compare the two batches. the mosaic batch should be a crazy fruit-bomb.

Terrapin beer company (out of Athens, GA) just released their new side-project: Mosaic. It's a red rye hopped with all mosaic hops. Here's a link to the description and a picture of their awesome label for it:

http://beerpulse.com/2013/03/terrap...rye-ale-now-available-in-side-project-series/

I'm looking forward to trying it and seeing how the mosaic hops work with the rye.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting a pile of it. I love rye and mosaic I think will go well with it.

If anyone wants this limited release, LMK. Willing to trade some.

Just tried the 2013 Sam Adam's Hopology Latitude 48 IPA now with Mosaic in the mix. It's frack'n delicious! I definitely need to brew with this hop ASAP!

I brewed up an amber that was hop bursted with Mosaic. Wow. I got a lot of citrus but also some pine and earth. It wasn't over the top sweet/citrus that others have experienced. To be fair, I did bitter with a wee bit of Bravo and the amber is a bit roastier than intended so maybe that changed the profile.

Can't wait to brew with them again... My freezer is just packed with to many new and tasty hops... I just mashed in on a Polaris IPA.

:drunk:

mosaic is rapidly becoming my go-to hop for dry-hopping. i made an imperial brown and dry-hopped the main batch with columbus and simcoe, but pulled a gallon into a jug a dry-hopped it with mosaic. first tasting of the two brews was last night, and all 3 people present agreed that the mosaic beer had the better aroma.

Tomorrow's brew day is going to finally make use of some of the Mosaic hops I've had in my freezer for weeks. A pale ale (malt bill from TastyBrew recipe) with a hop schedule I made up on the fly and a 2L starter of WLP029 Kolsch yeast. Beersmith says 1.053 / 46.5 IBUS @ 65% efficiency (my last 2 BIAB were low)

What do you think? Anybody use Centennial with Mosaic before? Cascade in the dry hop or replace with Simcoe?

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

9 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 79.2 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 12.5 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.3 %

0.50 oz Chinook [15.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 22.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.10 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 17.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 7.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.30 %] - Aroma Steep 2.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

1.00 oz Cascade [8.99 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.30 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -

Just dry hopped a batch of Ed worts house pale ale with an oz of mosaic! I also used only mosaic in the boil too! Can't wait! (Basically his hpa but instead of all cascade I did all mosaic)

I ended up taking silver in the Peach State Brew Off this past weekend with my Mosaic IPA. Here's the recipe and hop schedule that I used:

60min Mash @152F
60min Boil

13# Maris Otter
1# crystal 20
1# victory
1# flaked oats

White Labs 002 English Ale yeast (fermented @ 67F)

1.75 oz Magnum 60 min

Whirlpool hop steep:
1oz Mosaic
1oz Falconer's Flight
2oz Simcoe

1oz Mosaic
.5oz Falconer's Flight

1oz Mosaic
1oz Simcoe

1oz Mosaic

I ended up taking silver in the Peach State Brew Off this past weekend with my Mosaic IPA. Here's the recipe and hop schedule that I used:

60min Mash @152F
60min Boil

13# Maris Otter
1# crystal 20
1# victory
1# flaked oats

White Labs 002 English Ale yeast (fermented @ 67F)

1.75 oz Magnum 60 min

Whirlpool hop steep:
1oz Mosaic
1oz Falconer's Flight
2oz Simcoe

1oz Mosaic
.5oz Falconer's Flight

1oz Mosaic
1oz Simcoe

1oz Mosaic

i dunno, this hop schedule looks good and all, i only wish it had more dry hop additions. ;)

mewithstewpid said:
i dunno, this hop schedule looks good and all, i only wish it had more dry hop additions. ;)

Haha yea 4.5oz over 3 dry hops is pretty nuts...

I got the idea from the 'Can you brew it' podcast with Kern River's Citra IPA that won gold in the GABF for IPA in 2011. I basically used the same dry hop schedule but instead of Citra and Amarillo I went with Mosaic and Simcoe (with a little Falconer's). One of the judges actually wrote on the scorecard that he thought that Citra was prevalent in the aroma...but I obviously didn't use any Citra...so I guess the tropical fruit aroma in the Simcoe-Mosaic combo does smell a lot like Citra.

IMO, you've gotta be careful dry-hopping with Mosiac, or any other super-alpha for that matter. You can get a VERY stemmy taste in no time. I shoot for no more than 3 days. I really don't want my beer to taste like I'm chewing on a fresh hop...just my 2 cents.

IMO, you've gotta be careful dry-hopping with Mosiac, or any other super-alpha for that matter. You can get a VERY stemmy taste in no time. I shoot for no more than 3 days. I really don't want my beer to taste like I'm chewing on a fresh hop...just my 2 cents.
by "stemmy" do you mean vegetal or grassy?

i recently dry-hopped for 7 days on a healthy amount of mosaic and didn't get any bad effects. i usually DH for 4 or 5 days so this was longer than usual for me.

Yeah, the term "stemmy" was coined by the brew master at Stone, but yes I mean vegetal tasting.

I've left mosaic at keg temp in the kegs dry hopping while carbing and serving for like 2 weeks, and didn't get any of the vegetal taste from it. Could be the cold temps, which also slow down the dry hopping.

Brewing with Mosaic for my first time tomorrow. I've already done this recipe sans Mosaic, so I'll have a good feel for what it adds. Here's my concoction:

Richard Simmons - Damn, That's Fruity
Imperial IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 5/8/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal Brewer: Dave
Boil Size: 9.28 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Stainless Kegs (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 7.28 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal Est Mash Efficiency 87.5 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs 2.7 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.8 %
12.7 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.6 %
12.7 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.6 %
12.7 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.6 %
6.1 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.2 %
6.1 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 6 2.2 %
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 26.2 IBUs
0.33 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 7.0 IBUs
0.33 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 6.3 IBUs
0.33 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 10 6.2 IBUs
0.33 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 5.8 IBUs
0.33 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 12 5.2 IBUs
0.33 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 13 5.1 IBUs
0.33 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 14 4.2 IBUs
0.33 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 15 3.8 IBUs
0.33 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 16 3.7 IBUs
0.33 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 17 2.3 IBUs
0.33 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 18 2.1 IBUs
0.33 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 19 2.1 IBUs
0.66 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 20 0.0 IBUs
0.66 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 21 0.0 IBUs
0.66 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 22 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 23 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.70 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 24 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 25 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 26 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 27 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.078 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.5 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 80.0 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 6.2 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 5.0 oz
Sparge Water: 5.95 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 25.64 qt of water at 162.4 F 150.0 F 75 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 5.95 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Back