Berliner Weissbier BIAB w/ OverNight mash and Dunk Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepDiver

Reaction score
I'm planning a Berliner Weissbier in the next week or so and wanted to see what everyone things of this possible plan.

I normally do BIAB, but for this I am thinking about using my 5 Gallon drink cooler and do an overnight mash, using my Bag with as much water as I can get with the grain bill (haven't done the calculations yet). Then the next day get the rest of whatever makes the full volume of water up to Mash out temps, and doing a dunk of my bag, then adding the rest of the wort from the cooler.

I'm thinking I may get a bit more complex wort (though not technically sour) from the overnight mash. Then I can do a quick dunk and get the boil going for 15mins making a really quick brewday. Going to pitch lacto give it a couple of days then pitch my yeast.

Mainly doing this because my weekends are packed for a while so trying to figure out a way to get a quick brew in, and even if the temp drops a little low on the overnight mash, I think this brew will be ok with that.

Anyone see anything that they think is a horrible Idea with this approach?

I have no idea, but I want to find out how it goes as I have been thinking about doing something similar.

I read in Radical Brewing that you can do your typical mash (1 hour) and reserve a quart of the wort before boiling and leave it out to sour. When it starts to get that soured character you put in a pot and heat it up to pasteurize it and then add back to the fermenting to beer (I think you have to do this to taste as to not add too much).

I will go home tonight and check the recipe in Radical Brewing and give you the actual process. I am pretty sure it was for making a Berliner Weisse too.

Yeah one of biggest issues right now is that brewing classic styles suggest a 90 min mash. It also suggest pitching lacto instead of a sour mash. I came up with this to try to squeeze the brew in early on a Saturday that I don't have a lot of time. If I do the mash like this, then only do the suggest 15 min boil, and cool to 90 I think I can get it done and cleaned quickly

I do overnight mashes and the only way it would get sour is if it drops below 140 for an hour or two. My mashes usually lose about 10* overnight, most of it near the end of the mash. My beers taste completely "normal" and my scores reflect this. I've had to adjust my starting mash temps though because the wort becomes VERY fermentable due to the lower temps it reaches. You won't denature all of the beta amylase, even with a 158-160* mash-start-temp.

If you want souring, I suggest starting in the mid-to-high 140's and it will drop below 140 at some point. You can also do an all-day mash so you can monitor the temp drops and sourness, then stop it and sparge right when you get it where you want it. I do all-day mashes the same as overnight. It's just time, no matter what part of the day you do it.

Back