Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leadgolem said:
Add your sugar to the brew after it's hit fg to taste, lots of people back sweeten with apple juice concentrate. If you want a still brew, bottle pasteurize immediately after sweetening and bottling.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/
If you want a fizzy brew, then fill a plastic "tester" bottle with your brew. Once it's got the pressure you want, pasteurize the rest of the batch to halt the re-fermentation from the back sweetening.

Thank you very much! I read a bunch of that thread and will likely give that a try.

have my first batch going now..i love ciders so i cant wait to try this carbed through a keg......need a flux copasitor....if only ...lol:rockin:

New to the forum and new to brewing. My dear wife suprised me by taking me by the local brew supply right before Christmas to "look" while we were out shopping and ended up buying me a brewing kit. Still waiting on a boil kettle so I started looking at something to make and found this thread. I am on page 160 of posts and will be starting the first batch in the morning. My goal is to finish reading this thread before the batch is done.

On a side note there is a 55 gallon drum of apple juice concentrate at work that we are pitching, going to try and scrounge some before the discard. Was stored on the shipping floor instead of in the cooler as it calls for on the label so the chemists want it pitched even though with the sugar content in it there is no way anything is going to grow in it.

On a side note there is a 55 gallon drum of apple juice concentrate at work that we are pitching, going to try and scrounge some before the discard. Was stored on the shipping floor instead of in the cooler as it calls for on the label so the chemists want it pitched even though with the sugar content in it there is no way anything is going to grow in it.

Good lord... that'd make a LOT of Apfelwein. I'd try to get as much of it as you can, and ferment in every vessel you can get your hands on.
Yeast and water is cheap.

Good lord... that'd make a LOT of Apfelwein. I'd try to get as much of it as you can, and ferment in every vessel you can get your hands on.
Yeast and water is cheap.
Absolutely! Plus you can totally drop the sugar from the recipe, just dilute until you get your desired OG. What's even better is that, as long as it isn't already loaded with bacteria, once the alcohol content gets over about 4% you've killed practically everything that could hurt you.

Of course, the whole thing could be for naught if the concentrate has potassium sorbate or potassium metabisulfite in it...

Absolutely! Plus you can totally drop the sugar from the recipe, just dilute until you get your desired OG. What's even better is that, as long as it isn't already loaded with bacteria, once the alcohol content gets over about 4% you've killed practically everything that could hurt you.

Of course, the whole thing could be for naught if the concentrate has potassium sorbate or potassium metabisulfite in it...

I don't think I have to worry about additives. We use it for growing wine cultures. I have been ferementing bacteria at work for over 22 years, figured it was time to start fermenting something a little more fun at home.

On a side note, I am up to page 201. Only 800 and some odd pages to go.

Sheboyganjohn said:
New to the forum and new to brewing. My dear wife suprised me by taking me by the local brew supply right before Christmas to "look" while we were out shopping and ended up buying me a brewing kit. Still waiting on a boil kettle so I started looking at something to make and found this thread. I am on page 160 of posts and will be starting the first batch in the morning. My goal is to finish reading this thread before the batch is done.

Build giant starter.

Pitch giant starter into drum.

Succeed at life.

If I finished the fermentation (3.5 gallons), sorbated, and then added a 1/2 gallon of apple juice to up the sweetness and apple flavor of the wine, would that work or am I not seeing a potential issue? I just finished my last bottle from a primary starting last April and I'm starting to get the shakes.

If I finished the fermentation (3.5 gallons), sorbated, and then added a 1/2 gallon of apple juice to up the sweetness and apple flavor of the wine, would that work or am I not seeing a potential issue? I just finished my last bottle from a primary starting last April and I'm starting to get the shakes.
That would be fine. Sorbate will usually prevent refermentation, but it isn't a guarantee. If you want to be sure, you need to pasteurize.

Its been 7 weeks in the fermenter so far and it is starting to clear up. I am really temped to call it done and try it out. Will it get that much better if I wait? Maybe just bottle it up and start a new batch.

The difference between 2 months and 3 months was pretty amazing. I would wait if you can. It is too easy to plow through quickly before aging properly. I had to pull my bottles out of rotation to sit longer. It is worth the wait, and I want to have some aged at 6 months to a year.

Luckily I already have another batch at 3 months and will hold off bottling for a while longer. Already plan on my next batch this month also.

I just bottled my first batch after almost 16 weeks in fermenter. Added just a little priming sugar. I'll probably try one in a week or so. Will they noticably get better the longer in the bottle or is the longer fermenter time more important?

I just bottled my first batch after almost 16 weeks in fermenter. Added just a little priming sugar. I'll probably try one in a week or so. Will they noticably get better the longer in the bottle or is the longer fermenter time more important?

Hmm, yes. :p You need a few days after hitting fg for the yeast to do cleanup. That means letting the yeast turn some of the fusel alcohols into fruit esters. To do that you need to stay on the yeast. After that, it isn't critical if it ages in the fermenter or in bottles. I prefer to give mine a week to 10 days after hitting fg. Generally speaking, you get better results aging in bulk rather then in bottles.

Is it more important to keep in on the yeast, or to age it in general... It's debatable. If you don't have that time on the yeast the cider will have a noticeably harsher flavor. Though it doesn't have to stay there for 16 weeks. If you don't age the brew anymore after you take if off the yeast, it will have a noticeably harsher flavor. Though not in the same way as taking it off the yeast immediately after hitting fg. IMO, if your aging a batch for more then a year the aging is more important. If it's less then a year, the post ferment cleanup is more important.

Sorry, I guess that wasn't actually all that helpful...

Hehe thanks. I guess I'll just have a few after 10 days and then stagger the rest of them as long as possible. Took a small sip when I opened it up tasted good enough already

Hehe thanks. I guess I'll just have a few after 10 days and then stagger the rest of them as long as possible. Took a small sip when I opened it up tasted good enough already
Now would be a good time to start another batch, if you want to have any that's been aged.:tank:

hi peeps, happy new year to you all, my Apfelwine is coming along nicly, the one on the left started on the 12th December(2012 not 10) is now slowing down on the air lock, now im in no rush to drink this id prefer to age it till the summer, whats the best way to handle it? i also dont need the demi jon as i have pleny, should i just leave it on the lees? or re rack when it starts to clear and store out of the way? any info appreciated.
lee

apfelwine.jpg

O.K. I give UP!!! I made it to page 400 and and it was like kicking a dead horse with a dead horse. Same questions over and over. I think I found all the info I need. Time to go sniff the air lock on my first batch.

Sheboyganjohn said:
O.K. I give UP!!! I made it to page 400 and and it was like kicking a dead horse with a dead horse. Same questions over and over. I think I found all the info I need. Time to go sniff the air lock on my first batch.

What did you expect to find after the first few pages? This isn't rocket science. It all turns into commentary after a bit.

What did you expect to find after the first few pages? This isn't rocket science. It all turns into commentary after a bit.

I was hoping to find different variants and other oddball things people had tried, both good and bad. Those were there but at first it was every few pages, then every 5 or 10 pages, in the end it was getting to 20 plus pages between them. Just could not take it anymore.

I did find a few blueberry and pomegranate variants that I am interested in trying in the future.

Just started my second batch of apfelwein. 6.5 gallons of Musselman's, 2 lbs 5 oz's dextrose, and a packet of Montrachet pitched dry. Do you think o need to add another 5 oz of dextrose or more yeast?

Og of the juice was 1.05 and went up to 1.06 after the sugar. Going to let it age about four to five months in the carboy and maybe try the first one for my birthday in June. Looking forward to it as my first batch aged about a month and a half in the carboy and a few months in the bottles and is just starting be less like rocket fuel and more like cider goodness. This is fine in the carboy for several months as long as its filled to the neck leaving no chance of oxidation right? I read it benefits from bulk aging in the carboy. Going to bottle carbonate this batch as I left the first still.

Wish me luck and let me know if you think I should add more dextrose or yeast. Thanks!

ForumRunner_20130106_191549.jpg

ForumRunner_20130106_191615.png

ForumRunner_20130106_191631.png

ForumRunner_20130106_191656.png

Just started my second batch of apfelwein. 6.5 gallons of Musselman's, 2 lbs 5 oz's dextrose, and a packet of Montrachet pitched dry. Do you think o need to add another 5 oz of dextrose or more yeast?

Og of the juice was 1.05 and went up to 1.06 after the sugar. Going to let it age about four to five months in the carboy and maybe try the first one for my birthday in June. Looking forward to it as my first batch aged about a month and a half in the carboy and a few months in the bottles and is just starting be less like rocket fuel and more like cider goodness. This is fine in the carboy for several months as long as its filled to the neck leaving no chance of oxidation right? I read it benefits from bulk aging in the carboy. Going to bottle carbonate this batch as I left the first still.

Wish me luck and let me know if you think I should add more dextrose or yeast. Thanks!
That's really a matter of personal preference. More sugar=more alcohol pretty much. I brew a lot of rocket fuel, but you do need to let it age for it to be pleasant.

I just took a sample of my apfelwein using the orignal recipe. Going on 6 weeks in the fermenter it is at 1.002 and tastes really good. At first it was a little sweet with tart finish, but then after I finished off the sample from my wine thief :drunk: I found it to be quite pleasant. My wife was reluctant to try it, but after sampling it she said she'd prefer it to be bottled still. I guess in about 6 more weeks I'll be bottling most of it and carbonating, but leaving some of it still in the bottles.

Should I bother putting any campden in the remaining apfelwein I bottle still?

I just took a sample of my apfelwein using the orignal recipe. Going on 6 weeks in the fermenter it is at 1.002 and tastes really good. At first it was a little sweet with tart finish, but then after I finished off the sample from my wine thief :drunk: I found it to be quite pleasant. My wife was reluctant to try it, but after sampling it she said she'd prefer it to be bottled still. I guess in about 6 more weeks I'll be bottling most of it and carbonating, but leaving some of it still in the bottles.

Should I bother putting any campden in the remaining apfelwein I bottle still?

It's not really needed,but won't hurt if you do.

I think the real beauty behind this stuff is it is the single easiest recipe to put together I have seen so far (assuming you have the 3 ingredients and a glass jug).

just made my first 2 1/2 gallon batch. using exactly what he said. lets see how it turns out!!

Just a question..should I have used apple cider? Or is 100% apple juice (with no preservatives) ok?
Although it is from concentrate^

Both are fine, cider generally gives you a better flavor. Though it is a little harder to clear then juice.

DaveVanO said:
just made my first 2 1/2 gallon batch. using exactly what he said. lets see how it turns out!!

Just a question..should I have used apple cider? Or is 100% apple juice (with no preservatives) ok?
Although it is from concentrate^

EdWort said:
Apfelwein - Fermenting

Award Winning Apfelwein Recipe (German Hard Cider) Apple Wine Recipe
Placed 1st in the Cider & Apple Wine category at the BJCP sanctioned Alamo Cerveza fest (out of 11 entries) and took 2nd place for Best of Show for the main category of Meads & Ciders (out of 50 entries).

Ingredients

5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (No preservatives or additives) I use Tree Top Apple Juice
2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) in one pound bags
1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast

What’s the difference between apple juice and cider?
Cider is made by pressing apples. Juice is then filtered to remove all of the stuff that makes it cloudy.

Can I use apple cider instead?
Sure! You can use whatever you want. However, there is not enough information in this thread to give you any better details as to how it will turn out. I recommend starting a new thread or ask more experienced cider-makers.

What kind of Apple Juice should I use?
Ideally, you want to use 100% natural apple juice with no preservatives. The only acceptable preservative is ascorbic acid, which is a source of vitamin C and does not affect fermentation. Pasteurized juice is preferred, since it will have less bacteria.

How much will this recipe cost me?
5 gallons of Apfelwein can be made for between 20 and 25 dollars.

!!!

Made my third batch today. I seem to add cinnamon to every batch.

First batch has about 25 of 58 bottles left and is over 4 months since I made it.
Second batch is bulk aging at 4 months and had 1 gallon of cherry juice.
Third batch is 5 gallons treetop apple juice, 1 gallon of treetop cider (only had 5 one gallon juices), 4 teaspoons Fermax, and 2 lbs 6 0z of sugar with Montrachet yeast.

I boiled 3.5 cinnamon sticks, 10 oz of sugar and a clove for 15 minutes in apple juice also to add to the flavor.

I will probably also boil a cinnamon stick with the 5 oz sugar when carbonating it also like I did my first batch.

Everyone likes this stuff, but most people haven't had too many yet, still building up an inventory. I prefer to bulk age over bottle age since they go quickly and make great gifts.

After trolling the post for the last week, I finally decided to do my first batch. Talk about easy, and all for under $20!

Thanks Ed!

My 2nd batch of this has already been in primary for 2 months. I bottles first batch at 3 months and it was awesome. Didn't even last 3 weeks and only gave away a couple. I did let 1/2 a glass sit out after drinking for a while for a couple days and tasted it, so I know how the turning to vinegar tastes and I can it was quite distinct. I only did it because I was paranoid at first batch while bottling. So set your fears aside, it's hard to screw up.

I love it, thanks man for sharing! Adding a hint of cinnamon while bottling still.

Should I use apple juice from concentrate? or is it better to use Apple juice not from concentrate?

I have access to both, both are pasteurized.
I made my first 2.5 gallons from concentrate. And today made another 1 gallon not from concentrate. BUT dont have enough time to determine which is better. (trying to get a 5gallon batch going for a party in June. Anyone have any input on this? :drunk:
Thanks in advance:ban:

apfelweingrannysmith_zps1e1088d6.jpg

heres mine with 3lbs of grannysmith apples and 30 raisin
No offense, but isn't your fermentor a little full? I'd be seriously worried about losing a gallon or more when the yeast start really producing co2.

Should I use apple juice from concentrate? or is it better to use Apple juice not from concentrate?

I have access to both, both are pasteurized.
I made my first 2.5 gallons from concentrate. And today made another 1 gallon not from concentrate. BUT dont have enough time to determine which is better. (trying to get a 5gallon batch going for a party in June. Anyone have any input on this? :drunk:
Thanks in advance:ban:
To be frank, there isn't a lot of difference. My personal preference falls slightly on the side of not from concentrate. The batches seem to differentiate a little more, which I think is nice. They also vary a little more seasonally.

EdWort said:
[*]Put your stopper or carboy cap on with an airlock and fill the airlock with cheap vodka. No bacteria will live in vodka and if you get suckback, you just boosted the abv.There’s no need to worry about filling up a carboy so full when you use Montrachet wine yeast. There is no Kreuzen, just a thin layer of bubbles (Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKG84Md2GMk). I'm able to fit all but 4 oz. of my five gallons in the bottle. Ferment at room temperature.

!

No offense, but isn't your fermentor a little full? I'd be seriously worried about losing a gallon or more when the yeast start really producing co2.

To be frank, there isn't a lot of difference. My personal preference falls slightly on the side of not from concentrate. The batches seem to differentiate a little more, which I think is nice. They also vary a little more seasonally.

i know there is alot of juice but its been in the carboy since the 2nd..bubbeled for the first couple of days ...now everything is great:rockin:

Back