Weird style keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varmintman

Reaction score
OK today I got a keg given to me that has well a long and boring history. To cut to the chase it has set full of beer for at least ten years and perhaps plenty more. I have no clue what beer is in it and I seem to remember the style of keg from my youth but I have no clue. I do remember calling them a pony keg though and I think it held 7 or 8 gallons

It is about 16 inches tall and about 16 inches wide. It is ballooned out in the middle of the keg or the side walls are not straight but bowed out in the middle. As soon as I can find my camera and as soon as the leaves melt enough for me to try and clean it and see some sort of identity numbers I will post some photos.

Cool find though and I hope some of the good folks here can help me identify the keg

it sounds like what they use to call a pony keg but not sure with out seeing picture. but great find.

OK I could not find my glasses but I found the camera so here are some photos.

028.jpg

030.jpg

It looks like a sanke keg to me!

The big question is is it aluminum or stainless steel? Stainless will be MUCH thinner than aluminum. If it is SS I would turn that into a fermenter and rejoice.

It's stainless 7.75gallons June of 1989 Now YOU tell me what it tastes like :p

Oh man I do not have a tap that will fit it....Not to mention the beer is well pretty old. But I will admit I have thought about tapping it and seeing if it is good or not LOL

Keg was made in June 1989 (not necessarily filled in 89) 7.75 gallon "D" ring coupler not sure what the 16/16 is for, maybe measurements. it looks stainless to me from the picts. But anyway, what are you going to do with it?

Cheers
Jay

Well I know it was in a barn for at least ten years hot in the summer and frozen in the winter. So I am thinking that the beer inside is not going to be any good:)

I am thinking that it will be a nice start to a tier system. I can use it to heat the strike water refill it for sparge water. I know a bigger one would be better but hey the price was free so I am going to run with it.

Any bets on if the beer is still good

Ok I think I got the wife calmed down after I opened it up. Suffice it to say I may not drink beer for a good long time after that smell. Wow that was beyond bad

Back