Is this mead ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkey

Reaction score
I have a batch that's been fermenting for 2 months now (1 in primary, 1 in secondary). I had to move of my apartment and while moving the mead got a pretty vigorous shaking. It sloshed all over inside of the carboy. Is the mead ruined? I was going to rack this weekend, but if it's not worth it I'll cut my losses and probably just drink it and start a new batch. Advise me! :drunk:

Relax and have a homebrew!

Should be okay. I know nothing about mead (except I want to make some) but I would have thought there would be no problems. The only potential problem would be if it was oxygenated but this should not be the case due to no oxygen being present (you had an airlock on it right?)

Yeah, the airlock was on it. Some of the water in side the lock got pushed out, but I don't think anything got sucked back in. :confused:

sometimes it is good to use vodka or similiar in the airlock. That way if some does enter the ferm vessel no harm is done.

I would start another batch and then you will have one in reserve ;)

dibby33 said:
sometimes it is good to use vodka or similiar in the airlock. That way if some does enter the ferm vessel no harm is done.

I would start another batch and then you will have one in reserve ;)
Since I don't plan on moving for another year at least, I think I just may do that! :ban:

from what I have read, mead is less susceptible to oxidation, compared to beer.

I would keep going with it, assume its fine until your tastebuds prove otherwise.

david_42 said:
Mead has enough alcohol in it to kill just about anything.

except hangovers. I swear every mead I've made leaves me with a doozy, and its not from warm temps creating fusels.

No problemo. It will be fine. As stated earlier, just let it settle for a few days and rack as needed.

Back