Creamy Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maris otter can have a sweet smooth english flavor to it
munich is very creamy IMO
flaked oats , flaked wheat, torrified wheat all give rich creamy mouthfeel

Lactose, but it's not a malt. Also, higher mash temps.

http://***********/stories/beer-sty...er-styles/1160-milk-stout-it-does-a-body-good

Interesting. How much lactose should I add for a 10 gallon batch?

I'm aiming to make a Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale. Here is what I have so far.... Some borrowed some added :

Ingredients

18 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Cargill) (60.0 SRM)
16.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
4.8 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
16.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
2.0 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.0 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
2.0 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
2.00 Items Vanilla Beans (Mash 0.0 mins)

Some flaked oats might get you what your looking for. I get a crreamy, smooth mouthfeel and flavor from those on the beers I use them in. Maybe up to 1.5# for your beer for some creamyness and mouthfeel

I would add to flaked oats, or flaked barley, depending on your recipe. You'll have to use that in conjuntion with your regular base malt, but it should give you a really nice mouthfeel. Oats are more silky/creamy and barley is more think, syrupy type feel.

I'm aiming to make a Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale...

Ingredients
18 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Cargill) (60.0 SRM)
16.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
4.8 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
16.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
I think you're missing out rice or corn, otherwise it's something else
reference: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php

unless you mean cream as in "creamy" in which case disregard my comment

I guess what I'm really asking is, the main difference between using lactose and/or malt to create a creamy taste profile?

So are you looking to make a cream ale, or a 'creamy tasting' ale. A cream ale is its own style in which lactose would be very inappropriate.

To me lactose doesn't add much body or cream flavor, but rather a thinner subtle sweetness that is hard to define. It's a little different than the sweet that you attribute to table sugar, maybe a little creamy, but not what I think you are looking for...

Some more information would be helpful here. What style of beer are you planning on making? In the OP you said you want a "creamy flavor." Let's clarify a bit. Are you going after thickness, smoothness, sweetness or some combination of the three. This, along with the beer style will help us suggest appropriate ingredients to reach your goal.

Yup, totally missed the bit about trying to make a cream ale. You DON'T want any creaminess in this beer- it's supposed to be very light and dry. It's just a name, like English bitter (not a bitter beer at all). You DO need some corn though, to be a real cream ale.

Back