First Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek224

Reaction score
Just put my first Oatmeal stout into the primary! I plan on waiting for 2 weeks then moving to a secondary. Waiting about another week and a half and kegging. Any thoughts? Does this sound like a decent time frame for fermentation?

Go ahead and use time to determine when you check your gravity, but don't move the beer until gravity has stabilized.

I left mine for two weeks, gravity had stabilized, and I bottled it up. No secondary, and I don't think yours would benefit from one either.

Mine should be ready to try this weekend - I'm excited!

Maybe I will leave it in the primary for 3 weeks then keg it. How long after I keg it should I let it sit?

Maybe I will leave it in the primary for 3 weeks then keg it. How long after I keg it should I let it sit?

It really depends on the recipe. Some very high alcohol and/or very roasty stouts need a bit of time to mellow.

For mine, I just put it in the kegerator and it's pretty good after two weeks (and carbed up by then, too).

Latest posts

Back