Citra IPA - Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argyle

Reaction score
I'm planning an IPA. I bought these ingredients today at my LHBS, but am unsure of how much Hops to use.

Available Ingredients
10 lbs. 2 Row
0.75 lbs. Crystal 20L
2 oz. Columbus
3.5 oz. Citra
1 oz. Cascade

I am open to advice, existing recipes, or recipes I can modify.

Thanks

My thoughts...

For 5 gallons

GRAINS:
Mashed 153F for 60 minutes
10 lbs. 2 row malt
0.75 lbs. Crystal 20L

HOPS:
1 oz. - Columbus 14.2% - 60 Minutes
.05 oz. - Columbus 14.2% - 30 minutes
1 oz. - Citra 12.0 % - 10 Minutes
1 oz. - Citra 12.0% - Flameout

1 oz. - Citra 12.0% - Dry hopped After fermentation - 1 week

YEAST:
S-O5

Will this be good for a nice IPA or are my Alphas too high?

Should I work the Cascade in there somewhere?

Alphas too high? Never. Well, maybe if your not a hophead. Try downloading Promash or Beersmith if you want to easily calculate your IBUs, ABV, etc. It really helps out if you want to nail your numbers or understand the efficency of your brewhouse. Personally looking at your recipe, I wouldnt change a thing. Maybe add that ounce of Cascade to the dry hop. Citra used late in the boil and dry hopped is awesome...

I might split the Columbus into a FWH and 60 add to mellow out the bite of columbus but still get the flavor.

Boy said:
I might split the Columbus into a FWH and 60 add to mellow out the bite of columbus but still get the flavor.

+1, doing this and moving all other hop additions to late in the boil 20 ish minutes or less helps get you a really smooth, less harsh bitter. Definitely dry hop with the citra and cascade, you just can't loose with that.

I just quickly put this into Beersmith. The OG and FG of your recipe matches pretty well with a typical American IPA. The IBUs are a little high for a typical American IPA but that doesn't really matter. If you want a hoppy beer, go with your recipe. I would say remove the .5oz Columbus from your brew completely. That will lower the IBUs a little and let the Citra flavor come through a little more. I just brewed a citra pale ale using 3 oz of citra and I like the flavor and aroma from citra.

Back