Water treatment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
in the efforts to brew the best beer possible, i've been looking into my area's water chemistry. without getting a sample actually tested i found some info online:
Hardness - 40-85
Fluoride 0 mg/L
Sodium 6.0 – 14.0 mg/L
Iron ND – 0.75 mg/L
Manganese ND – 0.10 mg/L
Lead 3.0 ug/L
Copper 0.14 mg/L
Calcium 16.1-22.7 PPM
Nitrate ND – 0.05 mg/L
alkalinity 22.2-54.1 PPM
PH 7.0-8.5
i can get some more values if you need. I'm just wondering if this is good brewing water, or if i need to treat it somehow? I do filter my water.
thanks

That range is too broad, but the water is generally soft with moderate alkalinity. The iron content looks like it gets a little too high at times.

The report still misses the chloride and sulfate content which is needed to assess how much you might want to bump up those ions for particular brews.

It doesn't look too bad, but you should seek out the missing information.

I'd recommend 2 things;

1) Get TH's "EZ Water Calculator" from here: http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

2) Get a water report from your water district if you have city/public water. They're typically required to provide a water analyses report for you (by law).
- or -
Get a sample and send it in for analysis. I'd recommend Ward Labs. Go here: http://www.wardlab.com/FeeSchedule/WaterAnalysis.aspx and get test W-6 "Household Complete Mineral Test" done.

The folks that have responded are correct though, the information really isn't sufficient to give an accurate answer. My guess is, based on your information, that the water changes over the course of the year (possibly due to the area drawing water from more than one source). I say that because, like the others have stated, the values reported span a fairly large range. If your water does come from various sources, then you'll be dealing with different water all year long (PITA). I'm fortunate that Virginia Beach provides a quarterly water analysis report and it remains fairly consistent all year long (indicating a consistent water source and water standards).

Try googling "water analysis report for --insert your town/city name here--". See what comes up

Latest posts

Back