Igloo-Cooler RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a little project going that I'd like to open up for discussion. I built a RIMS mash tun into a 48-qt Igloo cooler. It's self-contained so you just dump in the water, program the mash profile and let it go.

I built it in a weekend for about $100, but the controller took about another week to design and program. The details are too lengthy to go into here, but you can check it out at rims.openschemes.com.

Take a look, and let me know what you think!

mash_152F.jpg

Holy crap, that looks like a lot of work! Some of you guys really impress me with the amount of time & materials you put into your setup.

Ahh, but to stir mash all day is not only a lot of work (and a big time sink), it's also tedious (to me). Or you could do some more interesting work in order to avoid doing the boring work. That pays twice!

I just came across this concept, both here and on the linked website, and I love it.
I bought parts to make a rims tube from 2" 316ss, and would love to be able to contain it in the cooler, My question is, How well do those mag-drive aquarium pumps stand up, as they are a hell of a lot cheaper than a march pump, if they stand up they would be an excellent alternative imo.

Whoa.... 4 years since last post on this thread. I hope you get an answer.

OP was convinced the pump would work after "a quick dunk in almost-boiling water with return receipt in hand". I wonder if it's held up over time, also.

Subscribed

Great idea! How's the cooler, pump, and other setup holding up after all this time?

Back