priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mefisto666

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new the site and I just started brewing and came across something which google couldn't answer.

So, here's the thing. I started making 3 gal of hard cider and it's been fermenting for the past 9 days, but the fermentation seems to be very close to its end because it's barely producing any bubbles. I had a taste last night and it was actually good (thank god because i thought the H2S was gonna kill it). The problem is that I want to make it sparkly, so I was thinking of priming the bottles and try to add some flavor at the same time by adding a combination of some left over apple juice and apple concentrate. I used apple concentrate when I first started the process so it would have more of an apple-ish taste, which it does but i would like it to be stronger. Since the concentrate actually has a lot of sugar in it I was wondering if it was possible to simply prime the bottles with apple concentrate instead of just dextrose, and how much concentrate should I put in each bottle so it creates enough co2 to carbonate but not make the bottle explode?

I read that around half a tsp is enough for a regular 16oz bottle, but that comes up to be around 2.2 grams of sugar, and that same amount of sugar is easily contained in a few tsp of concentrate.

any help appreciated.

thanks

Hi and welcome. I've never made a cider so can't answer your question.

But I can point you in the right direction :)
There is a cider subforum on this site - go to the main page and scroll down. I bet you'll find lots of threads dealing with how to make bottle conditioned carbonated cider. Good luck!

I've found back sweetening with apple concentrate makes the difference. I force carb so I can carb after the cider has been back sweetened and stabilized.

If I had to bottle condition I would try it in 2 liter bottles. Bottle and and prime as usual in the 2 liters. After it's conditioned, chill them down for a few days, then open each bottle and back sweeten with some apple juice concentrate along with some stabilizer. You'll need to figure out before hand how much concentrate and stabilizer to add so as to leave enough room in the 2 liter at bottling time.

I don't know if this would be fool proof because I'm not sure if the stabilizer would work with the amount of yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

Latest posts

Back