Lagering Temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS

Reaction score
Recently got a used refrigerator and want to try making a lager. The refrig. will only get to 45 deg.. From what I've read thats okay for fermenting, but not low enough for lagering. Am I still okay to lager at 45 deg.? Will it take longer?

45 is a bit high for lagering, but it won't ruin the beer. How is it that the refrigerator only gets to 45°F? That's not even cold enough for food storage.

45 is a bit high but it can still work. You may want to store at 45 for a longer period of time. Noonan recommends lagering at 30-35 for at least a month for a 5 gallon batch. You may want tot extend the time to 2 months.

Does the fridge have a freezer section large enough to lager in? Waht temperature is that at?

I'd bypass the thermostat to see if the fridge can get colder. If so buy a new thermo or get a Johnson/Ranco/Love, etc controller for it.

Back