Draft Cabinet Project Pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
This is in another thread, but if you are like me you don't always go back through every repost. So I thought I would make a new posting of this.

This is my start at a new draft cabinet that will be on top of my chest freezer. I am waiting on the tap shanks, but have lots of it built. Here are some pictures:

This is front view with the engines set -
DraftBoxfront.jpg

Here is a close up of one of the beer engines from the front -
BeerEngineFront.jpg

And another with the engine engaged -

BeerEngineengaged.jpg

Here is a rear view of with a beer engine -

BeerEngineRearDetail.jpg

It will be another week until I get back to this, but it is at least off the drawing board! I have to build the drip tray set-up, attach my inline regulators, insulate the works, but on a rear hatch for access and oil and seal the whole works, plus attach it to the chest freezer and build the bar to cover for the chest freezer. I have a few weekends of busy work in store.

And the faucets waiting for the shanks, including an older style stout faucet with a flow adjustment (I love Ebay and I love these stout faucets - beat the crap out of the newer models) -
Taps.jpg

:eek:

OMG!

Can I come over to your house and play with your toys? They are much better than mine.

BTW, where did you get those beer engines?

Ebay. Some guy in Denver was selling them. So shipping wasn't too bad. You can find them on Ebay in England, but shipping will raise the price a bit...

Who knows the best way to cut/drill holes in slate? I need 5 holes for my faucet shanks and really don't want to crack this thing!

I would think that a drill-press on it's slowest speed, with a hole-saw and lots of oil would get the job done. Then again, I say that about a lot of things...

Maybe use water instead of oil as you don't want to stain that slate. Come to think of it, you should be able to find a continuous-edge diamond hole-saw used for cutting holes in counter-tops and stuff. Got any stone counter-top places near you? I'm sure they would cut a couple holes for some blessed beer.

Brewpastor said:
Who knows the best way to cut/drill holes in slate? I need 5 holes for my faucet shanks and really don't want to crack this thing!

You want a masonry coring bit. You could probably rent one too at the DIY. If you have access to a drill press and the slate dimensions allow, that is the beest route since it affords even pressure. You need a steady flow of water to keep a slurry going and keep everything cool.

I have done this type of coring before, through concrete slab floors where cracks are a "no no". The righ that we used was bolted into the floor, and the coring bit was then pressed into the concrete. the drill has a water hose attachment, and dispensed the water. The coring bit is just like a hole saw bit, except that it does not have teeth. It has an edge that is usually industrial diamond, with even slots around the circumference, so allow removal of the debris, which then forms the slurry. it is slow coring, but very precise, and leave an opening that would be finish grade.

EDIT***similiar to this
b9_1.JPG

Very cool. I have a drill press that is speed adjustable. I can drag it out on the drive and run a hose for water. Are coring bits expensive? I have 5 hole through 3/8" slate to bore, is dulling a concern?

Also, anybody know the true size of the openings I will need to cut? I can hunt around and find out but this is lazier.

what diameter? I can tell you that I have gone through a 12" slab with a corrugated steel backplate with a used bit. Diamonds are strong like that.

What about a tapered grinding wheel, like the kind used with a dremel? I bet you could find a bigger one suitable for your drill press. Slate is relatively soft as far as rocks go. Just go slow.

Dang That's pirdy!

I'm doing a chest freezer kegerator. I broke down and bought a new 8.9 ft. (curses on you %$#&% that got one for $25) I'm using 8" log siding for my facia board. I plan on using rain gutter for a drip tray. Did a Google search fo rain gutter and found some high dollar embossed copper rain gutter that would look great on that setup of yours. I however will have to opt for the cheap stuff. Ok I'm jellous. You RAT!

Latest posts

Back