FirstBlond

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallygator

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WlL 001
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 68f
Tasting Notes
Smooth, Malty. good flavor
4 gallon boil

Crystal 20L 1 lb
Honey 1 lb
LME pale/light 7 lb

Hops:
Name amount Alpha% Min
Cascade 0.50 oz 7.2 60
Perle 0.50 oz 8.2 30
Cascade 0.50 oz 7.2 15
Cascade 1.00 oz 7.2 flame out

1 tsp irish moss @ 15 min
steeped crystal @ 160 for 20 min
All LME was added at beginning of boil. Honey added at last 15 min. (can add honey whenever depending on how much flavor you want, there is still very little at 15min)

I am very pleased at how this turned out. Its a really pleasant drinker, much lighter tasting than I thought it would be, without the watered down flavor one would expect. Its not really a Blonde, but too low on the IBU's to be a pale. This will definitely be brewed again!
Opened one of the last ones after 2 1/2 months. Did this ever taste good. Very smooth. Everyone I gave this to really liked it, some people even asked for more.

beer.jpg

That's crazy... I just made an extremely similar beer the other day. Here's what I did :mug:

It's still bubbling in the primary but I can' wait to try it. I am glad to hear that yours came out good.

My recipe is based off Ed's Haus Pale Ale/Biermunchers Centennial Blonde.

I'll call this one Air Bear Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 7.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 80.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
1.00 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (60 min) Hops 22.4 IBU
0.33 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (30 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
0.33 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.33 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 13.33 %
1 Pkgs Safale-05 (DCL Yeast) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains for a half hour.

Notes:
------
Steep Crystal 10L for 30 minutes. Start the boil and toss in half of the DME (3 lbs). Add the first ounce of cascade and begin to time the hour boil. Add more cascade at 30 mins. Add honey at 20. Add other half of DME (3 lbs.) then hops at 15. Add the final hops the last 5 minutes.

Dry hop with an ounce of Cascade for 1-2 weeks in secondary if you'd like.

:rockin:

That beersmith is a pretty cool tool.

You will like it I'm sure.

I was going to use crystal 10L but the LHBS was out, so I opted for the 20L, and I really like how it turned out! :drunk:

I will probably be making this for a 4th of July BBQ this summer, at 6.5% ABV it should get the party going.

What brand of LME did you use and where did you purchase it? That's a nice light color for using all LME and adding it all at the beginning. Methinks I should give this LME a try or two.

What brand of LME did you use and where did you purchase it? That's a nice light color for using all LME and adding it all at the beginning. Methinks I should give this LME a try or two.

It is bulk Briess golden light from the LHBS in Corvallis, OR. I did back light the picture, but it is still quite light in color. I didn't actually try to get it that light in color, I might have done a late addition if I was going for color.

Thanks, Wallygator.

I just started reading Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels and starting to accept the fact that all extract recipes will be darker beers. Maybe I just need fresher stuff.

At any rate, I will probably someday try a partial mash, then get a cool mash tun setup, but I'd like to think I can brew a number of decent all extract (and steeped grains) batches before that time.

Thanks for sharing!

I brewed this beer except I boiled with the honey the full 60 minutes (on accident). It still turned out very well. I will be brewing this again. Great summer ale.

I brewed this beer except I boiled with the honey the full 60 minutes (on accident). It still turned out very well. I will be brewing this again. Great summer ale.

thanks, I'm glad to hear it still turns out good even when the honey is added early.

Gonna make this on memorial day! Will post my results.
Starting Gravity = 1.056, probably because i ended up at 5.25gal. it looks and smells good! Should still come out to arround 6% ABV

I used 7lb Pale LME (60min)
1.5cups of honey (1lb honey = 1.33 cups) (15min)
Crystal 20L 1 lb
Safale-05

I also followed BunzoBrew's hop addition schedule, as I am not a fan of hoppy beers, and 2oz sounded better than 2.5oz to me

1.00 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (60 min) Hops 22.4 IBU
0.33 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (30 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
0.33 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.33 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU

EDIT
Holy final gravity batman! This fermented down to 1.008!!!
picture.php

Going to be making this one again! it turned out GREAT! it was a hit at my homebrew club meeting, and the keg is draining fast....
I called it American Blonde, because i brewed on Memorial day, and tapped the keg on the 4th of July!

You will like it I'm sure.

I was going to use crystal 10L but the LHBS was out, so I opted for the 20L, and I really like how it turned out! :drunk:

I will probably be making this for a 4th of July BBQ this summer, at 6.5% ABV it should get the party going.

My LHBS doesn't ever seem to have 10L either. The last couple of batches I've done 20L and it comes out just dandy :)

It's certainly a tasty beer... I just hope next year I can utilize the fresh cascade hops I planted this year. First years yield is non-existent, but I hope next year allows me to churn out plenty of this brew for cheap.

I dropped a fresh Fuggle hop into a glass tonight, it smelled and tasted great. Who would have thought that cascades and fuggles would smell good together?

Thinking of doing this brew up for my summer house beer. Couple changes I might make, one is 6.6lbs of pale LME, since the LHBS sell it by the Kg, and that is conveniently two kgs. Also I have a leftover ounce of Saaz I was thinking of using...Not sure how well that would work with the others tho..

Also I was thinking of doing a late addition of half the LME to get that colour a bit lighter.

Any thoughts? Has anyone brewed it recently with some changes I should know about?

Latest posts

Back