3864 Pale Ale with C-Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
My LHBS just got the Unibroue yeast in so I ran and grabbed some. I'm going to make several batches out of it, but first I'd like to do a light and simple belgian pale. My question is, how would cascades taste with the yeast? I have a bunch of homegrown cascades, and I made a fantastic APA with them. I'm contemplating using a similar recipe and tossing in the 3864. I'd tone down the hops for sure, but would the flavors clash, or would I end up with an interesting mix. I've heard of folks exploring the Belgian IPA territory. What's the word on the flavor profile?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Iron Hill Brewery brewed a fabulous Belgian-style IPA that's brimming with "C" hops. I'd bitter on the balanced side and ferment relatively warm to get maximum esters from the yeast. The Iron Hill example was, if memory serves, like a Tripel with a crapton of Cascades flavor and aroma.

It can be done, so I say "Go for it!" And send me a bottle when it's finished. :D

Bob

Thanks for the input. I think I'll do a 3 gallon batch to test it out.

Back