Few questions about PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
About to start my first few PM's going mostly by Deathbrewer's write-up (thanks for that!) but was curious...

1) All the methods of PM'ing mention late, or close to end of boil extract addition. I plan to do this exclusively, any reason I can't do this every time?

2) Forgive my noobness but why can't you do an all grain with this method? Something to do with holding temperature in the mash with this method isn't as efficient and you can't get 100% of your fermentables this method?

1) You need some level of SG for the hops to give-up their bitterness. If there is some mater in the wort (in this case the PM) you dont need the extracts. You add them late to sanitize them.

2) You can but on a smaller scale (or to the max size of your pot) If you re-read his post

I use this method to do 5 gallon partial mashes and 2.5 gallon all grains several times a week.

1) You need some level of SG for the hops to give-up their bitterness. If there is some mater in the wort (in this case the PM) you dont need the extracts. You add them late to sanitize them.

I believe John Palmer debunked that not too long ago. IBU extraction has no correlation with wort gravity.

I've done late LME extract addition on all of my PM brews with good results. Typically I'll add 1/4 to 1/3 of my extract to my grain runnings then start the boil, turn off the burner with 5-10 minutes left and add my extract, then return to boil and finish my time (and 5 min hops).

I do late additions all the time. Now I'm switching to DME instead od using LME but basically the same thing.

One thing you might want to do is add a cup of extract to the mashing water - helps the PH.

Back