Igloo Kegerator at Walmart - $369

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have this model. I building out a mini fridge, and it only holds one 1/6 keg but that is great for me. But I was getting foam big time with the 6' line that came on my tower. I checked out a few sites and got a formula that told me that I needed a 40" line so it tied it and it was almost all foam. Use this spreadsheet http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/
I did and now I get a perfect pint all the time!

I moved the thermostat probe from behind the freezer plate and my temp are now freezing a glass of water on the lowest setting. anyone else have this. I have pushed the probe back to see what happens but worried I broke something.

Dan, I have been running an Igloo 6.0 for over a year. Overall I am happy with it. Regulator was broke from day one, but after buying a Micromatic regulator I have been happy. Anyway, I really want to convert to a 2 tap setup and was interested in some pics, info,& advice on your tower conversion. I was going to buy a 3 inch stainless tower with perlicks but would rather not modify the fridge itself unless there is no other option.

Has anyone successfully converted the Igloo 6.0 kegerator to a dual tap? Please share! I am torn between trying to modify the 2 1/2" tower for a 2nd faucet or bolting on a 3" dual tap tower. THanks for any advice!! :)

I bet you could do it pretty easily as long as the form factor of the new tap is the same. I do not have this model. I had a Danby before I went the keezer route. I believe the base was 3" as well. The other option is to get one of these. http://www.homebrewing.org/product....m=ProductAds&gclid=CMOg4-_B_LwCFSFo7AoduwsARQ
I did not care for this and just went with a 2 tap tower. and made a tower cooler to cut down on foamy pours.

Anyone try to fit a tall 1/4 and a 1/6? This is what I'll be using it for or a tall 1/4 and a pin lock corny.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I did the same, you need to go into the temp gauge and move the set screw until it gets to a more reasonable temp. This was a really stupid move on their part putting the probe somewhere that does not give the ambient temp of the fridge. Once I did that the overly cold issue subsided. Just make sure to move the set screw in small increments.

Anyone try to fit a tall 1/4 and a 1/6? This is what I'll be using it for or a tall 1/4 and a pin lock corny.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have had corny kegs in mine on more than one occasion. This unit will hold a 1/2 (15.5 gal) keg so it should hold pretty much anything else.

Just bought this and have set it up. What adapters/connections do I need for a 5 gallon ball lock keg?

You will need a liquid and gas versions of the item listed below (link) and any adapters that might be needed to connect them to each hose type. I have done it and it works fine, just do not forget that you will need and adapter because the lines will be bigger than the barbs on the cornet connectors. Good luck and happy drinking!

http://www.homebrewing.org/Beer-Ball-Lock-Disconnect-Barbed_p_2915.html

This is probably going to be a zombie bump, looks like this thread hasn't been active in a few months.

I purchased this unit last night with the end goal being to add the two faucet kegco tower I have from a previous cooler. I purchased the cooler it at Home Depot for $398, less 10% Vet discount, less $50 gift card, less $120 store credit (both given to me by Home Depot Corp because they are toolbags) for a net cost to me of $188.

A couple of observations:

Proprietary interlocking tower base. Kind of a neat concept. I purchased this knowing that I would be using it for Corny kegs (ball lock) with the occasional commercial sankey slim 1/4 bbl kegs.

As I said, I have a Kegco 3" double faucet tower, and mounted that to the top of the unit, centering it on the hole provided. Getting the plastic cover back on the top of the unit proved to be a challenge, but in the end, I won.

I will not be using the 2.5lb tank, or the regulator coming with it, I have my own old reliables (5lb tank, regulator) off of a 3 gas splitter (two for ball lock, 1 for sankey).

I get 2 corny kegs in there comfortably, and once I have it all set up (hopefully tonight), I'll take some pics to share.

I found this site, especially this thread extremely informative, especially in regards to the temp regulating. Good info folks!

Now my question to you, what is the copper pipe trick, or am I going to have to get my google fu search on? (edited to add: nevermind, found it!)

As I said, I have a Kegco 3" double faucet tower, and mounted that to the top of the unit, centering it on the hole provided. Getting the plastic cover back on the top of the unit proved to be a challenge, but in the end, I won.

Just wondering if you have any pics or detailed tricks on how you did this. Would love to be able to do this.

Just wondering if you have any pics or detailed tricks on how you did this. Would love to be able to do this.

I'm going to take pictures tonight when I finish the job up. Life gets in the way with the fun stuff sometimes.

As a detailed instruction:

With the original tower already off/removed:

1. remove 3 phillips head screws from the rear of unit holding the plastic top trim down

2. Once screws are removed, lift & push plastic top trim towards front of unit.

This removes the top plastic trim.

3. Place and center new tower over hole, mark screw holes. Drill small template holes.

4. place plastic top trim in line with the front fasteners and pull back locking trim into place.

5. Lifting up on the plastic trim from the rear, maneuver tower through the hole (pain in the butt!) and place on to template holes.

6. Screw in using sheet metal screws. I screwed them in hand tight using thumb and forefinger, then used an offset screwdriver to tighten down.

7. Profit.

On a side note, the stuff included with this cooler is junk (IMHO). The Sanke tap looks sketchy as well, but I'm going to use it with some modification. The goal is to have 2 ball locks, and a standby sanke, so I picked up the stuff I needed and should be able to get everything configured and put together tonight. I'm taking my time to get this 100% right the first time.....

First issue to overcome was the rubber strap that wouldn't fit over the 5lb tank. I purchased a Husky 100 lb. 18 in. Zinc-Plated Steel Hang-All. I unscrewed the rubber strap and replaced it by:

1. Cutting hook out
2. Unscrewing rubber strap from hooks
3. Cutting webbing from hang all in the middle after removing hook
4. Attaching hooks to webbing
5. $4 solution, awesome.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416022567.591519.jpg

Next, I used 1/2" copper piping and slid hose through. Attached "t" for future use

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416023238.205036.jpg

Next, I piped all the co2 lines. Stanley, tap 1 & tap 2
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416023140.801116.jpg

Labeled
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416023308.933419.jpg

Everything plumbed.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416023375.439912.jpg

Hooked up
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416023425.600650.jpg

Pumpkin Quad and Rye IPA settling.....

I used some of the packing material in the tower to insulate and keep copper in place....

Thanks a lot!!! Might be my next project.

It was a bit fun. I had other issues this weekend with it, my beer did not carb properly so I had to do that over again, I had a clogged poppit etc. But the beer is plenty cold, everything is working with no leaks, and I did it the right way (to me) the first time.

If you can get this cooler for a deal (discounts/credits etc) and have equipment that you are going to use instead, go for it. Like I said, the equipment it comes with is for the most part, junk, except for maybe the regulator. There are plenty of hacks/info about resetting the thermostat, moving the probe to getting it colder. For right now, I'm good with temp, Polar Vortex and all that happening, and the cooler is in the garage (not heated but not a freezing meat locker either).

I had bought the tower a while back for my brother in law's cooler that he was lending to me for a while, and decided he wanted it back. Meh, no worries, it set me up for buying my own, and the wife likes it too. Which is always a goooooood thing.....

The biggest issue I am having is finding a 3" inner dia trim piece to cover the gap between the tower and plastic fridge top trim

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416326947.434413.jpg

Hey everyone,

I made a bit of a mistake in asking for a gift card from Walmart with the intention that I would go out and buy a mini fridge to build a kegerator with it.

I was originally looking at the Danby 4.4 cu. Ft. DAR125SLDD model since it is one of the few that doesn’t have a freezer box of any sort to deal with and there is a wealth of info for DIY kegerator conversions. Unfortunately it appears as if Walmart is out of stock. They do have the Danby 4.4 cu. Ft. DAR044A1WDD but this does not have the separate top cap piece, and I would have to add a piece of plywood or marine board as a substrate to mount the tower. It certainly can be done, but just not as efficiently.

So plan B is buy an actual kegerator from Walmart and spend some more money out of pocket, figuring I would have done that anyway to get the proper hardware to build it.

I see that they have a 4.6 cu. Ft. Igloo kegerator for $349.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-4.6-cu-ft-Kegerator-Beer-Bar-Black/31136431

The 6.0 cu. Ft. model that was the basis of this original post is unfortunately out of stock as well, which I’m taking to mean no longer avail. From Walmart.

So what I’m wondering is the following:

What are the weak points you have found on the Igloo unit?

What kind of cost would I incur to make upgrades like a better 2 gauge regulator and a 5 lb. CO2 tank?

Am I likely to spend just as much on kegerator + upgrades as I would have starting with a $189 Danby fridge and building it myself?

If the Igloo is relatively “turn key” and functions well then I am happy with just buying that and being done with it. If I have to invest another $100-$150 then I’m probably better off from a cost standpoint building my own with the Danby and having better components to begin with.

^^^^^
Anyone have some feedback for me? I'm hoping that I'll get some kind of response from the 6.0 cu. ft. owners to give me a read on whether the quality of these make them worth it.

^^^^^

Anyone have some feedback for me? I'm hoping that I'll get some kind of response from the 6.0 cu. ft. owners to give me a read on whether the quality of these make them worth it.

Working just fine for me. It's located in my garage (44deg in garage) and holds around 35 deg. The summer it might be different. Everything is working just fine.

I got it at Home Depot for 297.00
I am having a blast decking it out.
Build was better than I expected.
I have taken the photos of my total work, and writing the text now. Should be online as a guide tomorrow.
Can't say enough good for the unit.

Common complaint about regulator seems fixed. Mine is all metal, gauges bumpered, etc.
Cooling: that is only issue. It's too cold. So I will be adjusting the fine set screw tonight. Unit only takes <2 hours to come to temp. About 4 to stabilize.

Get it in store, and look close at the box to ID damage before taking it home.
Packed very well, but shipping damage is easy. Get it at the store and minimize risk. Mine is perfect, so was the box.

Hey all. First time poster.

Been looking into getting a kegerator for awhile but the price always stopped me form doing it.

I picked this up for $159 at Home Depot this weekend. Figured it was worth a shot.

Anyone have any hints or tips for this unit? I know keeping the temperature low is key. There's no keg in it now and its running between 35-40 degrees. Temperature always seems to raise when I open it too often to check.

I'll probably mostly be putting a Bud Light 1/2 keg in most of the time. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right before I go buy a keg and waste a ton of beer.

Will a 5 LB co2 tank fit in with a 1/2 keg?

You got an outstanding deal.

You could read my temperature dial hack to lower the temps, and take your chances there. Yes, the 5 lb. tank will fit easily on the back shelf, with room to spare, while still accommodating a half barrel.

Hey all. First time poster.

Been looking into getting a kegerator for awhile but the price always stopped me form doing it.

I picked this up for $159 at Home Depot this weekend. Figured it was worth a shot.

Anyone have any hints or tips for this unit? I know keeping the temperature low is key. There's no keg in it now and its running between 35-40 degrees. Temperature always seems to raise when I open it too often to check.

I'll probably mostly be putting a Bud Light 1/2 keg in most of the time. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right before I go buy a keg and waste a ton of beer.

Will a 5 LB co2 tank fit in with a 1/2 keg?

Good day,

I would suggest a new faucet head, a Perlick will do nicely. Then get a new sankey, perhaps even find a deal with buy “X” number of keys and save. You could get a European, US and a home brew key...or whatever type of beers you might drink. I bought both of these after they started having issues, about 1 - 2 years after I bought the kegeator and each issue cost me beer, time, money and a pain in the a$$ clean-up. I would also suggest getting a tower cooler as well, I got one pre-fabricated off Amazon and it works great, makes a real difference (you might want to insulate the tower better as well). You can also run the C02 line through your drain in the fridge, it keeps the C02 canister from getting to cold and providing inaccurate or lower pressure than at room temp (gas expands when warmer, contracts when colder). Lastly, enjoy it as much as I have. Mine has seen dozens of great microbrews run through it, I have Drakes Denogginizer in it as we speak and I hope to have some Drakes Hopocalypse in it new week. Have fun!!

I was able to pick up one of these at Home Depot last night. Hopefully adding a dual tap tower later. Anybody else have luck changing out the tower on this fridge? I saw the earlier posts but not the tower swap specifically.

Another lurker turned newbie, wife picked this up week when it hit $159 at Home Depot.

Great thread, hope to set it up this weekend.

I was able to pick up one of these at Home Depot last night. Hopefully adding a dual tap tower later. Anybody else have luck changing out the tower on this fridge? I saw the earlier posts but not the tower swap specifically.

I ordered a stainless steel dual draft tower with Perlick 630SS faucets (link below). That now costs more than the kegerator. :D

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/beer-towers/single-double/ebd4743dt-630ss.shtml

I will let you know how the mod goes. I also ordered a 5 pound CO2 tank and a 2 product dual pressure regulator. Going to keep the 2.5 pound tank and the set of gauges this kegerator comes with for my beer gun.

I ordered a stainless steel dual draft tower with Perlick 630SS faucets (link below). That now costs more than the kegerator. :D

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/beer-towers/single-double/ebd4743dt-630ss.shtml

I will let you know how the mod goes. I also ordered a 5 pound CO2 tank and a 2 product dual pressure regulator. Going to keep the 2.5 pound tank and the set of gauges this kegerator comes with for my beer gun.

Keep us updated, plan to do same thing in three weeks when i return home. Wife picked one of these up for me last weekend

Just snagged one in NorCal. $159 plus tax. Only one in store. Apparently they were sent to the store for a Black Friday deal and it is only coming up at $199 after scanning it but then add 20% off for appliances deal and its $159.23

I didn't want to keg until now. Glad I waited.

Thanks for the tip!

Just snagged one in NorCal. $159 plus tax. Only one in store. Apparently they were sent to the store for a Black Friday deal and it is only coming up at $199 after scanning it but then add 20% off for appliances deal and its $159.23

I didn't want to keg until now. Glad I waited.

Thanks for the tip!

Which NorCal store? At that price, its cheaper than buying parts!!!!

Good luck with the dual tower mod. That is the exact tower with the perlicks I've been wanting to switch over for over a year. Please keep us updated. You guys are getting an awesome price on the kegerator. I thought $299 was great. I strongly suggest replacing the regulator and sanke as the ones that come with it are junk. My regulator never worked.

Latest posts

Back