Canadian Roll Call!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't done it yet personally but have talked to people who do. You just call in your order a day in advance and pick it up the next day. Cash only

Don from the south shore checking in. Veteran brewer, off and on, between Ontario and Nova Scotia. Wine and beer, from all grain, all grape, but doing the easy grain way with largely Festa and Brewhouse worts. Kegging large with my Danby two tap home converted corny kegerator, and getting ready to fire up my commercial Sankey/Corney True kegerator. Anyone on here tried the Micro-Brew wort from Brasse Frampton in Quebec?

Semi-new brewer in Calgary here, did the kits in University but now doing partial mash, hopefully moving to AG when I can find a sanke keg somewhere in Calgary to make a keggle with...anyone from Calgary know of a source (other than theft), or a place to get a reasonably priced 8-10 gallon stock pot?

A few good LBS in Calgary, The Vineyard usually has a good selection of grains/hops. Staff can be a bit rough around the edges and prices are steeper than online retailers, but its close and has quality stuff so can't complain too much!

I bought my pots at an East Indian food store... they have huge pots for cheap. I think I paid > $40 for my 16L pots. I don't do full boils though, just partial mashes.

That's exactly what I use. I have since bought a ss pot with a valve on it. But this crappy tire turkey fryer goes on sale once or twice a year as well. The burner works great and I still use it. No reason for an upgrade at this point.
If you want a stainless pot check out ontariobeerkegs.com the 2 port welded is $79

I have 2 for side by side partigyle brews. The first one I bought is only 32qts but has some serious BTU's. The newer model is 36qts with less horsepower but a cleaner flame when on low power. Heres a pic from my easter weekend Thomas Hardy Barley Wine/AK brew.http://barclayperkins.blogspot.ca/2013/03/lets-brew-wednesday-eldridge-pope-1967.html

PIC_0446.jpg

Hey y'all, I'm from Montreal (NDG area). I'm new to this and on my second batch after a successful first lager...

All grain brewer from winnipeg, have done extract for a couple years and this year graduated to all grain and have done 6 all grain (10 gallon) batches since may. Always looking for tips, pointers,and recipes.

Bridgewater, Nova Scotia. All grain brewer for close to 3 years. Also spent a few years on the south shore of Montreal (McMasterville). Cheers everyone!

Hey Hey!

All Grain brewer from Sarnia, Ontario here! Great to see so many Canucks and fellow brewers from Ontario on here!

Cheers!
John

Getting back into it, london Ontario here. Brewed my first batch today, did the American Amber ale from Ontario beer kegs

Just got back from a town called Herschel in SK. We were there waterfowl hunting. Cool place, nice people... Great hunting!

Code:
Winnipeg (northend specific), MB. Just started brewing this year. Family got me the equipment to start for fathers' day and I'm really enjoying it. I think the family is enjoying how much time I'm spending in the 'brewery' too ;). Did a couple of 'wort-in-bag' kits, working on a extract brew in secondary now.

Another 'Pegger checking back in, I'm glad to see all the Canadians on here, Just wondering how many people BIAB? I stumbled onto this method, I haven't brewed a batch like that yet but I can already tell its going to be my preferred method... It seems to come from Australia... they all seem to BIAB...

Another 'Pegger checking back in, I'm glad to see all the Canadians on here, Just wondering how many people BIAB? I stumbled onto this method, I haven't brewed a batch like that yet but I can already tell its going to be my preferred method... It seems to come from Australia... they all seem to BIAB...

Hey DigB,

I BIAB for my small batch AG brews. Good way to test recipes, and keep the pipeline open when it's too cold outside for a big brew day. Which it can be, inasmuch as this is Wpg!

It's also nice for mini-mashes.

Urban Samurai - welcome, fellow 'Pegger!

Another London brewer here, just noticed this thread. Started this summer and I'm completely hooked. Actually looking forward to real snow fall this year because of brewing. Has anyone tried cooling their kettle in a snowbank? Does it work as well as I think it should?

Another London brewer here, just noticed this thread. Started this summer and I'm completely hooked. Actually looking forward to real snow fall this year because of brewing. Has anyone tried cooling their kettle in a snowbank? Does it work as well as I think it should?

I live in vancouver and we don't have snowbanks so I can't comment but I like winter because I can only fit 2 kegs in my fridge but in the winter my entire deck becomes a keggerator.

I've had a similar thought for lagering. Can't get much easier then put it outside and forget about it for awhile.

It actually doesn't work quite as well as you would think. There's no movement, so while it is quite cold, there isn't a lot of heat exchange going on. I've found it's still easier to chill my wort with an immersion chiller and tap water.

I've used snow and water instead of a ice and water in my sink to cool wort before I bought an immersion cooler.
It worked fine for 5 gal batches

DigB I have been researching BIAB for one gallon batches during the winter, seems like a great way to test recipes and avoid freezing weather!

This works for me if it's a 2.5gal batch or less. Bigger batches, yeah, you need something more. But for the little batches...it's gonna snow anyway, might as well make use of it!

Campfire boil followed by a snowbank cooling - one of my fav. brew days ever, and strangely appropriate for this thread!

Military brewer currently living in NB. Did 3 batches of cider, 1 partial mash and my first all grain is in primary. Im doin 3 gallon BIAB on the stovetop but hope to upgrade to 5 gallon after Christmas. Any Maritime brewers on here?

BorealBrewer said:
Hey DigB, I BIAB for my small batch AG brews. Good way to test recipes, and keep the pipeline open when it's too cold outside for a big brew day. Which it can be, inasmuch as this is Wpg! It's also nice for mini-mashes. Urban Samurai - welcome, fellow 'Pegger!

Yea, it's a nice way to trial a new recipe. I just did a full 5gal batch APA for my second batch. My first was a Brooklyn Brew House chocolate maple porter 1 gal kit and it turned out great! I think I'll be BIABing for the foreseeable future as my first 5gal batch was a breeze and it smells amazing!

Been here for a while but never realized this thread was here. I'm from Sudbury, ON. I am a fellow BIAB'er. Just finished my 3rd 5 gallon batch.

Hello from Ottawa. I've been on the site for a few months but i've been brewing for a while now.

Windsor, Ontario here.

I have been brewing partial grain kits for 6 months and I'm going out today to buy a larger pot so I can start doing All grain biab.

Surprised there aren't more of us Canadians here, that or we just don't like announcing ourselves :) I'm in Kelowna, BC - we got a pretty decent home brew group going here, about 10-12 of us. I'm doing mostly 6G All grain batches and been brewing for a little over a year.

Well I'm in kelowna too and I'm not part of this. What's going on? I've been searching high and low for other brewers
I found Denny, psych and that's it. Anyway awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Back