Recipe for dark pale ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCbrewsnob

Reaction score
I am looking for a great dark pale recipe. I cant seem to find anything online. I am not using a mash tank. Let me know what you guys have out there!

Browse through the recipe database. You can't have a "dark pale" recipe though. It's either one or the other. I would checkout amber/brown recipes or some porters.

I think he was referring to the new Black IPA or "colorado dark ale" that's been all the rage recently.

I don't really have one off the top of my head, but I've been thinking about it recently as well. I think you have two potential routes you could take;

-A standard IPA recipe with just enough debittered black malt (such as Carafa 2 special) to give it a black color but very little flavor.

- A nice roasty black beer like a stout with the hop profile of an IPA.

Those will be two very different beers though, and it's really up to you to decide which one you prefer. I honestly can't decide either and it's been bothering me haha. I'm thinking a trip to the local beer emporium for some taste testing might be in order!

I think he was referring to the new Black IPA or "colorado dark ale" that's been all the rage recently.

I've never heard that term before.

I've heard it commonly referred to as "Black IPA," and even occassionally "Cascadian IPA," but never "Colorado Dark Ale."

I notice you're in Colorado.

Does anybody outside of Colorado call it that? Is every state out there trying to take credit for the Black IPA style, or is it just Oregon and Colorado?

Isn't settling on a single, coherent, descriptive name for the style more important than the egos of the brewers in the states bickering over who gets credit for creating it?

Can we please all just call it "Black IPA?"

I'm probably the only person who calls it a Colorado Dark, and I do it tongue in cheek because I think it's hilarious that the Hipsters from the PNW just decided to claim credit for a beer style they didn't invent. So screw it, I'll do the same.

However I disagree with you that Black IPA should be the moniker. You can't have "dark" and "pale" in the same name without sounding like you suffer from some sort of mental deficiency. So let the debate continue, but I would be perfectly happy with something like "American Dark Ale."

Is every state out there trying to take credit for the Black IPA style, or is it just Oregon and Colorado?

Some individual towns, too... anybody remember Stone's "Escondidian Dark Ale" they brewed as their 15th anniversary beer? This being Stone, it was a fabulous beer, with its tongue planted quite firmly in its cheek. Kinda hope they brew it again, some day...

Sorry! I get it, but a recipe that is nice and pale and also nice and dark?????....bwahahahahahahaha!

Wait....A black and pale! lol.
Sorry.

BLACK IPA is what you are looking for. Yes it also says PALE and BLACK but "IPA" has a DEEP DEEP meaning. It means a bitter/hoppy beer. No one says "India Pale Ale", so Black IPA is paleteable.

India *pale* ale
Why don't we just call this what it is? India *Black* ale, or IBA.

OP, not bashing you, I really like a good dark, hoppy beer, and look forward to seeing a recipe. I just think its a misnomer.

I like IBA more than BIPA, but I'd really like to get rid of the India designation because at this point that has NOTHING to do with the style other than lend a hint that it's hoppy. But since this is really it's own brand new style, something like American Dark will have it's own hoppiness connotation once people get to know it.

Here's a clone recipe I've been planning on brewing for Gales HSB which is a great darkish english pale ale/bitter that i've had quite a few times.

9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 83.7 %
10.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.8 %
5.0 oz Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
3.0 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 1.8 %
2.0 oz Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (660.0 SRM) Grain 1.2 %
8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 11 4.7 %
17 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 12 10.6 IBUs
15 g Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 13 15.7 IBUs
10 g Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 15 1.3 IBUs

Starting Gravity: 1.046 SG Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Final Gravity: 1.010 SG

Originally adapted from